Oil fired Rayburn carbon build up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all , I take care of the servicing on my mothers oil fired Rayburn, it burns very cleanly , the last time I serviced it I didn't even have to sweep any soot out .
However it always seems to build carbon up around the oil inlet , I have attached a photo ,what causes this ?
image.jpeg

Sponsored Links
But if you are servicing the boiler do you have a flue gas analyser to set it up properly?

I have seen some of that black deposit before but not at all sure that it is carbon. Maybe something out of the fuel?

Tony

Thanks for the reply tony, I don't have a flue gas analyser , I've always gone by the appearance of the flame , nice blue flame all the way around , and I thought by having no soot build up I had it running quite nicely .
I was thinking maybe something in the fuel but my brother has had similar issues even when using the additive the fuel company offers .

Get an OFTEC engineer in who's got his oft 102 for vaporisers get it set my guess is that it's short of air and not burning high enough to burn of the carbon plus you need an additive in the oil to combat the loss of sulpher in the oil

Sponsored Links
That is perfectly normal, it is carbonised oil. These often require cleaning twice yearly. A good clean blue flame is fine. People have been using these and setting them up without fancy kit for decades.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back