Rayburn 368k Boiler Lockout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Desperate for help if anyone can give any advice!

We moved into a house on the Isle of Arran in Scotland a couple of years ago and inherited a Rayburn 368k Oil Fired which has been good as gold until about a month ago. It does our central heating and hot water. The boiler now keeps locking out after about 10 mins of being turned on. Twice it has come on and stayed on for a couple of hours and then locked out. The cooker side is working fine. We have no Rayburn engineer on the island and my lovely neighbour who kindly came a couple of months ago to service it for us, has no idea how to do repairs or anything, he is just the guy everyone local asks to service their Rayburn.

We had a guy sweep the chimneys last year but he said the Rayburn flue was fine and didn’t need sweeping.

Does anyone please know what could be causing the issue? It’s absolutely freezing here and we really need to get it sorted but there is nobody here that can look at it for us!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I think you’ll find it’s the coil on the fuel pump it’s the prime suspect when
this happens. Bob

Thanks very much, do you have the part number at all please so I can try and track one down? Are they easy to fit please?

Sponsored Links
I think you’ll find it’s the coil on the fuel pump it’s the prime suspect when
this happens. Bob

Would this be it please?

Attachments

• 88825660-DB1C-42F2-9E06-F75F71EC0952.png
    88825660-DB1C-42F2-9E06-F75F71EC0952.png
    474 KB · Views: 264
That's the one, buy one and keep another in stock.
(Not meaning to poach your post Bob, you've forgotten more than I'll ever know)
John :)

Brilliant thank you, I’ll order 2. I’ve watched a YouTube video by Danfoss showing how to replace the coil - stupid girl question coming up... whereabouts on the Rayburn is the oil pump? Sorry I did try to Google it but still no idea an hour later. Also just occurred to me that we turned a radiator off just before this started happening, could that be causing the issue? I know there has to be one “always on” radiator in the system and we’ve always assumed it was the one in the hall outside the kitchen where the Rayburn is. But there is a radiator which is physically closer that is on the other side of the wall that the Rayburn is on. That’s the one we’ve turned off as it’s right behind my husbands jukebox and we have a multifuel stove in that room so we didn’t really need the radiator on. Please tell me it’s not that causing the issue. I’ve been wearing about 20 layers this last couple of weeks so going to feel really daft if that’s the problem

Ok so here’s an update in case it helps. I’ve ordered the coils and they are on their way.

This morning I switched the thermostat to always on and turned the boiler dial up to 80. After a couple of minutes the boiler ignited (see photo) and stayed on for 5 mins without locking out. Then the lockout light came on with the boiler still firing but a couple of minutes later, the flames disappeared so I turned the boiler dial to off. Cooker side still working fine.

In the lighting instructions, it says to press the oil reset trip lever ‘D’ (see photo) down until it clicks. This has never clicked when being pressed down. It clicks when pressed upwards, but not when pressed down. The other thing I noticed was the wiring/piping at the front of the oil burner looks like it’s been shoddily repaired at some point (see photo), The far left cable in particular has what looks like white sticky labels wrapped round it. It might be normal but when closing the door to the burner compartment, the door thunks as though it’s pushing against the front of the boiler - could that be pushing on the cable/pipe connections to the boiler front?

Does any of that throw up any new ideas about what could be wrong please in case there’s something I can try whilst waiting for the coil to arrive?

Thanks so much for your help so far!

Attachments

• 9B9F5A8F-4B0D-4440-B9C3-93C0B9261CC6.jpeg
    9B9F5A8F-4B0D-4440-B9C3-93C0B9261CC6.jpeg
    290.7 KB · Views: 293
  • 4C05E9D9-345E-40C0-93F8-06A26F470327.jpeg
    4C05E9D9-345E-40C0-93F8-06A26F470327.jpeg
    339.5 KB · Views: 305
  • 4B191C65-5BF6-407B-87AB-8DED3164F22C.jpeg
    4B191C65-5BF6-407B-87AB-8DED3164F22C.jpeg
    340.8 KB · Views: 361
That is a really old boy you have there and I’ve not seen one for years,If I were you I would seriously be thinking of changing it.the guy who services it
shouldn’t even be touching it we had one bloke on Lewis like that and he only cleaned the boilers,his repairs were a nightmare.With an old boiler you’ll throw good money after bad and it’ll cost a fourtune not to mention the cost in oil which on an island is about 4 pence a litre higher than any where else
Time to bite the bullet. Bob

Just a thought is yours the vaporising boiler if so the coil may be a Parker coil and you may be better off getting the coil and valve complete. Bob

Not a clue, how would I tell whether it’s a vaporising boiler please Bob? Where do I look?

That is a really old boy you have there and I’ve not seen one for years,If I were you I would seriously be thinking of changing it.the guy who services it
shouldn’t even be touching it we had one bloke on Lewis like that and he only cleaned the boilers,his repairs were a nightmare.With an old boiler you’ll throw good money after bad and it’ll cost a fourtune not to mention the cost in oil which on an island is about 4 pence a litre higher than any where else
Time to bite the bullet. Bob

I’ll keep a look out for any second hand for sale on the island but we’re down to one income what with Covid so no hope of getting a new one sadly. I’m not sure if anyone could install one here even if we found one to be honest. The Rayburn guy everyone used moved away a couple of years ago. Bloody fortune to be made here by a canny person who knows their stuff!

I live on Lewis I’ve plenty of work look on eBay you may get spares and you can converse with the sellers. Bob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back