carbon deposits blocking gas valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
anybody ever come across carbon deposits blocking a gas valve? apparently caused by a chemical reaction between the gas and a low grade copper. this is coming from a vaillant engineer visiting a boiler I fitted that is still under warranty.

Sponsored Links
Yes seen it a few times in pilot tubes, usually the small bore copper ones never seen it in the larger alli type like the old Diplomat boilers used.
Have also seen the cintered type fiters totaly blocked with it as well.

Thanks for reply. This is on 22mm copper leading to a glowworm flexicom les than 12 months old. Gloworm/ vaillant wont touch boiler now until all gas pipe changed leading to boiler. Sounds like a cop out to me.

Sponsored Links
Commonly called "Black Dust" seems to be a problem in certain geographic areas, we had a few problems in the N. London area and Aldeburgh (Suffolk) over the past few years ;)

It was caused by British gas adding a smell to the gas. This chemical caused the reaction.

Seen it loads. "Black dust, fibres, black iron oxide" heard them all!

Very common, not your fault not the manufacturers fauly. Ring national grid and they will hover the main.👍

It was caused by British gas adding a smell to the gas. This chemical caused the reaction.

Seen it loads. "Black dust, fibres, black iron oxide" heard them all!

Very common, not your fault not the manufacturers fauly. Ring national grid and they will hover the main.👍

Says who? It is sulphidisation as per previous link.;

http://www.rgii.ie/_fileupload/installer files/Technical Info/TB-0105.pdf

I've never heard of BG hoovering the pipes, but I cannot say you are wrong!

When I spoke with Transco (or whatever) some years ago about a recurring problem, years ago to be fair, they had zero interest

PMSL AT onlyfitideal
, hoover main out and caused by adding a smell REALLY :rolleyes:

Am telling ya. The reason the iron mains corroding is because natural gas does not smell of anything. The chemical they added to the gas to give it a smell caused the mains to corrode. This is a fact. And yeh national grid do Hoover the main but not with a Henry! :rolleyes:

Lol " copper causes it" what a fooking cop out. The mains are not copper so why is it, it comes out of the main if you disconnect the guvnor.

What you mean to say natural gas doesnt smell well thanks for telling me this :rolleyes:
The chemical to make gas smell has been added since the first day gas ever came onshore this flaking prob is a recent one in last twenty years do not associate it with the chemical they have been putting in to help seal the pipes which comes through the mains.

Cheers for replys guys. The customer stumped up for me replacing all copper piping up to the boiler, then vaillant/glo worm came out and replaced the gas valve. This was about 3/4 months and still not heard anything so hopefully thats the end of it.

Sponsored Links
Back