Carbon Monoxide Test..

SDN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any body tell me the correct place to place a Flue Analyser while doing a CO test. Should it be by the appliance in the room, and should it be at a low level. (Sorry just to tight to buy a BS booklet for £100 +)

Sponsored Links
That seems like a strange question.

In a previous post you said you install "bundles" of WB boilers.

How have you been commisioning them if you don't know were to stick your flue gas analyser.

is he onabout old open flued appliances with no FGA test points though?

Sorry should have been more precise.. Yes I do mean where there is an open flued appliance...
Everyone knows you wedge the probe between the combustion chamber seals on a R/S appliance..

Sponsored Links
I think he's on about an ambient air test, not a flue gas test. He should put the probe wherever he suspects CO may be leaking from the appliance, typically near the draught diverter. He may well get a reading of 1 or 2 ppms close to the appliance but I wouldn't regard that as anything to worry about.

SDN said:
...Everyone knows you wedge the probe between the combustion chamber seals on a R/S appliance..
:eek: Sounds like you need to undertake some training.

Yes Chris.. that is what I meant. I have just got a new Anton Analyser and when I do landlords checks with cookers in small kitchens and radiant gas fires in front rooms I want to do a CO test in the room that the appliance is situated. Just another bit of info to print out to give the customer.

SDN said:
I want to do a CO test in the room that the appliance is situated.
Would you know how to interpret the results? Not much point in taking readings if you can't interpret them.

Not sure I understand your line of questioning.. If you mean do I know what are safe levels of CO in a room then yes I do.. If you mean do I know what buttons to press on my analyser, then again I will have to answer yes I do.. If you mean can I interpret the results from my analyser that prints everything in Chinese mandarin then I will have to be honest and say "NO I DON'T". Cheap Ebay rubbish.

Don't know if you have seen these new Anton machines but they are updatable via a USB port to be completely up to date with the new BS's as they are produced (probably for a fee), but these machines have all appliances listed. You start the test and after the correct amount of time the Anton tells you the peaks and troughs of CO levels and whether the appliance has passed or failed according to the relevent BS.

A safe level of CO is one where you don't feel a bit squiffy and the old ladies canary is still alive.

SDN said:
A safe level of CO is one where you don't feel a bit squiffy and the old ladies canary is still alive.
That proves my point. You don't know what a safe level is or how to interpret the CO readings.

Chris with respect i don't need to convince anyone of my competence, I just aked a simple question that is all.
I do know what all the correct CO levels are (which vary for each appliance) Did you know that ?
I do know the Maximum peak CO duration times...
All I need to know is should I put my probe next to the canaries cage or on the coffee table while I enjoy a lovely cup of Earl Grey.

What do the instructions advise for your fga? as that seems to be an equipment feature rather than an industry standard / reg.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back