Carbon Monxoide Detector for BBU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

After a visit by my heating engineer yesterday (see old thread now updated) he mentioned that I need a carbon monoxide detector because I have a BBU (Baxi Bermuda)

Couple of questions:

(1) Is this now mandatory or merely advisory?

(2) He mentioned the siting of the detector is explained in the instructions but that they ought not be fixed to the ceiling but slightly down from the ceiling on a wall and within the minimum/maximum distances from the BBU. Is that correct [i.e. no siting on ceiling] or does that depend on the unit which is purchased?

(3) Any recommendations as to what detector to buy please? Would help if the unit could be affixed without screws (e.g. DS tape) if possible

Thanks to all.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

B

Sponsored Links
With any open flued boiler it is highly recommended to have a CO detector.
Siting the unit is simply following the manufacturers instructions.
First Alert are decent units.
Double sided tape would be OK to affix the unit.

It's not mandatory on existing appliances but it would be stupid not to have one esp on a bbu.

Siting a fairly generalised but each will have its own instruction which should be followed.

I'd not be keen on using an adhesive as certain chemicals can affect them

Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps.

Only wondered about DS tape as the most likely site on a wall would be on the chimney breast which I am somewhat reluctant to drill into given it has all the BBU pipework behind it. I do take on board the point about adhesive though.

Will probably ask my CH engineer as he fitted the original BBU in the late 80s so he will know where the pipework is.

Cheers.

B

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back