Carcass fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody please help. I am about to build a built in wardrobe using mdf for the carcass, and I am thinking of using metal cam bolts and dowels to fix the frame together.
Has any body out there any experience of using these and if so what are the advantages /disadvantages of using them.
These cam bolts I am thinking of are the type that are usually supplied for fixing flat pack kitchen base units together.

Sponsored Links
Don't do it. They are very good fittings if the drilling has been done on a cnc machine but a pain if you have to jig up for a one-off. They are not designed for this kind of work.

Maybe a better way would be to use biscuits, glue and screws. If the screws will be seen they can be plugged or filled.

Thanks for your response petewood, not quite what I was expecting but I will take your comments onboard. It would appear on the surface that my proposed method of fixing is not generally used as I have so far not been able to find a supplier of the cams and dowels. This would therefore also add weight to your thoughts on the matter.

Sponsored Links
pocket holes work ok and you can use them well with biscuits, but it's not very easy to hide the screws (or so I have found). I used to use these for fixing legs to rails under coffee tables etc where it can't be seen.

I've never used a pocket hole jig, but I fear that MDF will delaminate as the screw goes in... also a bit dodgy on chipboard? Mark!!! have you used one on these materials successfully?

just pilot glue and screw and you will be fine alternatively use screwfix turbo gold screws they screw fine into the edge of MDF without piloting

Many thanks to everybody for your helpful comments.I have decided to go along with the old tried and tested method of wooden dowels using a very simple jig obtained from a major diy warehouse. It costs less than £25

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back