cardboard "walls" and infrared heaters

Dust floats around, any heat source increases the air movement and therefor the dust.
Floats, YES.
But any fan heater would BLOW any dust/pollen/whatever that was around.
There's a BIG difference.
Plus the convection does not start until furniture and things start to get warmed up.
Fan heaters BLOW as soon as you switch them on.

Sponsored Links
IR heaters run much hotter than that, they run at red heat.
Really? Sorry but I don't think so.
I can just about keep the palm of my hand on the front of my IR heater.
About the same as i keep my hot water set to.
It is certainly NOT red heat. It's not even 90C as someone else said.
And BTW, the back of it is lukewarm - although i have always wondered exactly what temp that actually is :)

Last edited:
How are they suspending the laws of physics to achieve that, they need an extra magic insulator behind the panel!
You have a flat plate heater at 90C or so, they can improve the emissivity on the outside which makes a few percent difference, but conducted heat still makes its way out of the back of the panel, entirely driven by the U factor of the various layers to the outside world, which will usually be colder than the room and that increases the conducted losses.
plez see #32

Last edited:
Is Good Housekeeping completely independent, or are they supported by advertising, is the first question you need to be asking.

As has been pointed out to you, they are not, and cannot possibly be more energy efficient and it is very unfair, to compare them to ceramic heaters, which are yet another scam. The one valid point, is that IR is more useful in a poorly insulated space, but only providing you place yourself in the IR beam. Move out of the beam, and you may find it cold.

Really, the best solution is proper room heating, in a well insulated space.
Yes, i am placing myself directly in the IR beam.
And when i move out of the beam it's because i'm either going out or don't need the beam any longer.
The way i use it clearly does make a difference, plez see #32.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes, but some of us may be scientists and we don't like the idea of people being misled by certain manufacturers, or the media's claims about efficiency, etc. :)
I'm not condoning manufacturers misleading the public, however, the way anything is used clearly affects an outcome.
Plez see #32

Last edited:
As to your original question about how to mount one, I think I prefer the reline the wall with plasterboard idea, or you could simply have one board that stood out in relief on the wall - there would be very little decoration needed, just paint, for a very slim chimney breast effect!
Cheers for that.
This is my wish list solution :)

As i sat down with my breky and coffee i switched IR panel heater on and before i'd eaten half a bowl of cereal all around me was warming. I felt like that old Ready-Break TV advert/nuclear energy skit.

and did you enjoy the porage?

Well depending upon wall and room temperature, the Stephan-Boltzmann equations say that at ~65C a 1 metre square panel can give you about 300-310 Watts out the front as infra red. If that is enough for the room I am very surprised. Still the long term solution is to reduce draughts and insulate the walls. the rod version will be the usual 1 or 2 kilowatts though.

Going back to how to fit it, don't the instructions explain what you need to do to wall-mount it and what surfaces are suitable to attach it to?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back