Neighbours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our neighbours are a constant source of amusement for us. Here are some excerpts:

Borrowed a DIY book and kept it for 6 weeks before I asked for it back.

Borrowed some decorating magazines because “they are too expensive to buy”.

Borrowed our lawnmower because “they are quite expensive and it’s too far to go to my Mum’s to borrow hers” (it is in fact 20 minutes drive). Kept for 30 minutes then returned saying “it won’t cut my long grass all the way”. It was also returned FULL. (Buy your own and keep your lawn trimmed!).

Borrowed a pair of shoes because “I’ve lost one of mine and we’re going out in a minute”.

Borrowed our fridge because “we’ve got people coming round and this trifle won’t fit in ours, can we put it in your American one?” (We’ve got an American one because we wanted one – so we took on a bit of extra work and saved up for it. Funny that).

Borrowed a gardening book – “to get some ideas”

Bottle of wine – “Can I have that half-bottle of wine I left at your BBQ yesterday, I’ve got friends round and the off-license is too far away”. The off-license is 5 minutes walk there and back, plus we supplied everything at the BBQ.

Borrowed one of my spirit levels – “We need to [not Can we] borrow your big one as X has only got a small one on his tape measure?”.

Borrowed a banana. I didn’t ask what it was for.

Borrowed an onion because “We’re making pasta and haven’t got an onion”. Well go without or plan your life better.

Borrowed one of my drills – kept for three days when I said I needed it back the next day (which I did) – borrowed because was “cheaper than buying one”. Well yeah. He has also said “Wow – you’ve all the tools!” YES THAT’S BECAUSE I HAVE BOUGHT THEM WITH MONEY THAT I HAVE EARNED.

All his borrowing has earned them the nickname “The Borrowers”. Once we got in from a long day out and within 5 minutes they were round asking for something. It was then we realised they were waiting for us and it had to stop. We manage excuses now.

On the way to Thai meal – “We’re going to be anti-social and split the bill as we haven’t got very much money, is that OK?”. We said OK. When the bill came: “Oh – we’ve had more than you, we might as well split it now”.

“Borrowed” “the internet” – “I’m looking for the ultimate holiday bargain”. Well get a computer of your own, then.

Once a £5 note fell out of my wallet in a pub and she said, “Oh look at it, it’s everywhere!”

“Can I come round and watch the match on your big TV?” (Their TV is 14” because “the big ones are too expensive”). He then bought round NO drinks.

We all went out once for an Indian meal and had quite a bit to drink. She mentioned (as she always does) that at university she had a lesbian relationship. She has also said she “could quite fancy” my wife. Fine by us. Anyway, she was saying everybody has a bit of bisexuality. I said not everyone, as I am 100% hetereo, and have never had an experience, but I would admit if I had and would admit it if I had a grey area, but I am quite comfortable with other people being that way. She said, “No, everyone has got a grey area. For instance, I wouldn’t mind it if when we went back you came round to ours and you and X started getting it on on the sofa.” Woh woh woh! You have obviously thought about this. I said “That’s never going to happen”. More scaringly X sat there and said nothing.

They both have reasonably well paid jobs (£21k and £18k – they have told us). A financial advisor went round and said the reason they never had any money was because they were saving too much.

Ehh, how I laugh (just about).

Sponsored Links
no offense notb.....but it sounds like they are living next door to a "gold mine". Set limits, offer no excuses (no means no) and eventually they'll get the drift...or not....but it won't be at your expense! :)

You call them the borrowers
What do you think they call you..the suckers maybe.

Sponsored Links
notb65, thats one of the funniest stories ive heard for a while! is it all true? what timespan are we talking here? years? weeks? DAYS? :eek: :LOL: write a note on the front door

"no door sales or borrowing"

We have a similar one, but our neighbours are nice folk, so it simply says "selling something? please dont knock" But it still gets ignored. They say they cant see it thru the obscured glass, but I can read it crystal clear.

Still, living like they do seems to be a good idea in this day and age, with pensions going downhill and prices rising all the time. Saving = good, spending = bad. :LOL:

So here you are slagging off your friends behind their backs I bet you go round theirs slagging us off behind ours. shieks!

they don't sound like the kind of "friends" I'd like to have......jeez if it kept up too long, I'd have to start "borrowing" back just to break even!

mlb3c said:
no offense notb.....but it sounds like they are living next door to a "gold mine". Set limits, offer no excuses (no means no) and eventually they'll get the drift...or not....but it won't be at your expense!

scatmanjohn said:
You call them the borrowers. What do you think they call you..the suckers maybe.

No offence taken. Goldmine: we work darn hard, and did so at school/college/uni so we could have what we wanted now, so yes, maybe. We are not suckers. We are nice people. Nice people can get taken advantage of. I did say that we had stopped them. We have set limits. And anyway, I’d rather be a nice person than the other way round.

crafty1289 said:
notb65, thats one of the funniest stories ive heard for a while! is it all true? what timespan are we talking here? years? weeks? DAYS?

Glad you liked it! It is all absolutely true. A couple of years maybe.

crafty1289 said:
Still, living like they do seems to be a good idea in this day and age, with pensions going downhill and prices rising all the time. Saving = good, spending = bad.

You sure? They look at your savings when you retire, you know. Unless you mean the type that you keep in the filing cabinet behind the second door in your loft. Ahem. ;)

Richardp said:
So here you are slagging off your friends behind their backs I bet you go round theirs slagging us off behind ours. shieks!

Au contraire! I have told them all this. They just look embarrassed but they still do it. :LOL: I never say anything about anybody I am not prepared to say to their face. It’s one of my ‘rules’. As for you lot: you’re not real, you’re on the internet! ;) kiss kiss.

Also I forgot: when our adjoining fence fell over and needed replacing because their bushes had pushed it over (well, contributed. It was old and the weather had been windy). “Oh oh”, she said “It’s mine isn’t it? We can go halves can’t we? We should go halves. Yes, halves.” I replied that it was my fence. “Oh OK, you should pay then if it’s your fence.” The thing is, I wouldn’t accept any money off them anyway. That way I can do a proper job and have what I want.

They are basically decent people and we love them really!

well then, I stand corrected. I did not get the sense that it was okay with you-I thought you were "venting". I have some great neighbors and we borrow from one another on a regular basis and we are respectful of each others' property-leaving it in as good or better condition than when we got it. I live alone (not a complaint) and I know they are there if I need anything or have an emergency and I hope they know I feel the same. Sorry for the the misunderstanding....you sound like a good neighbor to have! :)

mlb3c said:
well then, I stand corrected. I did not get the sense that it was okay with you-I thought you were "venting". I have some great neighbors and we borrow from one another on a regular basis and we are respectful of each others' property-leaving it in as good or better condition than when we got it. I live alone (not a complaint) and I know they are there if I need anything or have an emergency and I hope they know I feel the same. Sorry for the the misunderstanding....you sound like a good neighbor to have! :)

I was venting! No apology needed! :) I find it funny and I thought you might too! Hakuna matata!

notb665 wrote:

We are not suckers. We are nice people

I agree, i always enjoy reading your querky posts.

Actually after thinking about it i take it back about you been a sucker. :oops:

When i was young my mum used to send me round to all the neighbours borrowing money until the family allowance day arrived(she always paid them back on time). We were very skint and if it wasn't for these nice people lending us cash we would have been shafted.

So Big Up to all you lenders out there

Notb how long is your spirit level? Mine's a bit small for a job I need to do next week.

Sponsored Links
Back