Career advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, this is my first post. Was hoping for some advice as I don't really know where to turn and discussing it with my employer (a network) is not an option.

I have my 6012-4 NVQ, CMET1, CMET2, CODNCO1, ICPN1 and TPCP1 as well as ESP. Served my apprenticeship with them and have only ever worked (in the gas industry) for them.

The problem I have is that although i was originally trained to work on metering and escapes, the company is pushing for everyone to be what they call "crossflexed" i.e. to work on the gas network (upstream of the meter) as well during the quiet times. I have since been trained in the network side and have GNO2 service laying and associated streetworks tickets as well.

The problem is that I injured my back on the digging side, luckily just before winter when I was due to return to my regular job anyway. Having been provided with several sessions of physio by the company, things still aren't getting much better and I'm worried that if I go back to digging holes, I'll find myself more severely injured and ultimately out of a job anyway.

The bosses are all strictly old-school and don't seem to care and although I have only taken 2 days off sick in 6 years and have a clean disiciplinary record (not to mention being not too bad at my job!), it looks like if I can't do the network side of the job I'll be ushered out the door eventually. I don't want to make a fuss via grievance procedures as I think it would do more harm than good and cause me more trouble. So I'd like to see if I can find an escape plan.

So I was wondering if anyone could advise me on what would be the best options for making myself more employable in the wider gas industry, I was thinking about putting myself through my appliances or possibly more industrial stuff, which I enjoy working on, so I need to know where the money is basically. I'm only getting £11.70 an hour, so I'd imagine that's not to hard to beat, but I do have job security and of course guaranteed shift allowances/overtime just now.

I can pay myself through a few ACS, but don't want to waste money getting qualified for something that I can't get a job with.

Also would doing something like CKR1 or CEN1 be something that I would be expected to have prior experience in? As currently my only experience with appliances is cutting them off!

Alternatively are there opportunities out there using my existing qualifications such as I&C pipework? Where would I find such jobs?

What do you guys think?

apologies if this is in the wrong section of the forum, I'm new to this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back