New gas pipes being fitted, terrible

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently having new gas pipes laid by Scottish gas networks and the new pipe they’ve installed in the communal close looks like a climbing frame.
They even drilled through a stair to run the pipe up the wall.
All the other pipes running up the wall to my house are running side by side up the main wall and not up the other side of my door including the gas pipe that’s being replaced.
looks like its been snaked round corners so there was less drilling involved when installing the pipes.
cant believe they would run a pipe on a step that is the only means of escape if there was a fire.
I’ll try include pics to give you a better idea.
I have complained but any similar stories or advice would be great.

//www.diynot.com/network/ssroon/albums/
thanks

Sponsored Links
Ask them to fit new invisible pipes or install a pipeless gas supply system.

Sponsored Links
do you know why they would run it through a step and not with every other pipe against the back wall.
it would take less drilling i suppose and is an eye sore.
i asked why they did it and the manager told me because it looked better there and not running with the rest of the pipes.
Im a firefighter and dont think they can cause any kind of obstruction on a fire escape route whens theres a perfectly good route up the wall.
would prefer the pipe to be running with the rest of the pipes would look fine.

thanks again

You will have to take it up with whoever makes the decision on this.

yea got a meeting tomorrow with them.
i might post whats said if theres any interest on here.

Did you discuss the pipe run beforehand, and was alternative options given? From your point of view, is there a better alternative, and did you tell them before installation, and if so did they give you any reasons it could not be done that way. :rolleyes:

cant see any pipes causing an obstruction at all. Maybe put the picture of the offending item in your post, so we know what you mean.

i seen them come in first thing in the morning and came back later that day and the pipe had been snaked through the close. asked a guy why he put the pipe up that side of building he told me it looked better.
phoned up scottish gas networks and they suspended the work pending a meeting with me.

it would still be internal mate just running up other side of wall with other exsisting pipes
glasgow is a nightmare for metal getting taken for scrappys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back