Access for gas pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My gas engineer is running a new gas feed for my boiler. I have an old pipe that I am removing from the corner of the room. This will leave a 5cm hole. He has asked me to cut a 45cm square hole in the corner to install the new pipe. This seems a bit overkill to me and will be a pain to repair in a lath and plaster ceiling.

I assume he's concerned about feeding a pipe through with a tight 90 bend. (To run from one side of wall to the other) Is is possible to get a flexible type pipe to feed through from the other side through the old hole?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Where's the pipe coming from? At a guess it'll be for the sleeve for the pipe but ask him, I'm sure it isn't a secret. ;)

It's coming straight up from the meter in the corner of the room then into the ceiling and through a gap in the wall to the room next to it which has the ceiling down in full. ill see if I can get some photos done.

Attachments

• IMG_5049.JPG
    IMG_5049.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_5050.JPG
    IMG_5050.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 147
Sponsored Links
I assume you mean a hole 45cm x 45cm, which seems a damn big hole, or is it 5cmx9cm (making 45sqcm) which would give a bit of wriggle room, but not be excessive. If it's the former, then find someone else.

Lol, I've no idea what he's got planned but if leave him to it he will take down the whole ceiling and leave me to clear it all up!

He's coming next week so need to be prepared with alternative plan.

If it's the former, then find someone else.
Without you being on site or knowing anything about the installation then on what basis have you advised the OP to find someone else??..jeez it gets worse in here...
A large access may be required due to the use of a blow lamp.

As @Steelmasons correctly says, your Engineer /Plumber has seen the job and has given you advice, no one on here has seen it so we can not advise you properly, speak to the bloke that has seen the job instead of looking for the answer that you want to hear

A large access may be required due to the use of a blow lamp

You're totally right Steel, but I've seen guys that can work in a tight space without burning the surroundings, and those that can't be bothered to strain themselves. The plumbers asked Blue to make the opening, and he's obviously not worried about how much repair work then needs doing afterwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back