Expecting too much?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i managing a fairly big project at the moment and hiring in some help combined with DIY.

I've got a Plumber in for 1st fix plumbing and UFH etc. The trouble is I was expecting him to get on with the job and yet several times a day he's asking me where to run pipes, take up floorboards for him and even go out and buy 'extra' parts. He also now said that he's not familiar with the type of smart home system I brought so not sure what will happen when we come to fit that I'll probably end up having to get some else in to connect it all up.

He seems reasonably capable but I feel a bit taken for a ride. Should I just tell him to get on with it and do the job I'm paying him for ( over £5000) or should a plumber not be expected to lift a floorboard to run some pipes?

Sponsored Links
Are you the householder or hired as a "project manager"

Job I'm on at the moment I'm doing 4 bathrooms and the heating. I double check the location of everything with the foreman as it's all Hugh end stuff and the architect is measuring everything... Even caught her with a boat level on one of the shower valves :LOL:

However I was quite happy making the timber frame for the loos myself and drilling joists if needed, although to be fair he did offer one of the minions to do that (quicker if we did though).

I drew the line at mullering my holesaws on the steels though.

As for the home automation... Should you not have gone through all that at the start? Whilst we can handle most (certainly everything thrown at us on jobs over the years), not everyone can, and the options are legion.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dan,

I'm the homeowner. Was trying to offset some of the more technical jobs and allocate my time and energy to things I can do insulating, boarding out etc.

The guys even said to me why aren't you doing all this and I told him I didn't have time with all the other things that need doing but find myself spending a large part of the day helping him out!

I would suggest a sit down on a morning with the drawings and home automation kit and have a discussion of expectations.

Nothing heavy, and try not to make any presumptions. He could just be being extra considerate because you're the owner.

Or of course, he could be a total arse. It's tricky to tell from one side of the story.

Is he working on a re arranged fixed price or daywork? Did you say something like "to save costs I can do donkey work"?

He's on a fixed price but only doing first fix. Today He asked where I wanted to holes for radiators drilled. I showed him the radiator and Where is was going. I expected him to measure out and put pipes in the right place but he told me to do it all and make an x for his pipes coming up from floor below.

The guy doing the second fix may well be in for a right mess!

Why not tell him n the nicest way that you are not a plumber. You know where you want the finished item, but it is really up to him to be drilling and lifting.

Having said that, I am:
a Not there
b Wasn't there when the contract was discussed
c Not someone that does "first fixing" in this sense, so maybe others would say he is normal

If you know he is shyte why are you letting him carry on unless your not telling the whole deal :whistle:

Could be a mess having two different contractors on first and second fix.

Have to say, on the face of it, and bearing in again we only have your side of the story, he sounds a bit of a muppet.

Thanks for advice chaps. Missus wants me to fire him and get someone else but seeing as it was fixed price job and he still has at least half to go,
A/will cost me more to pay him off
B/ I'll never get someone else to finish at short notice
C/ I really don't have time to get requotes etc to finish off.

To be fair to him I don't have exact plans for pipe layouts only locations of sinks, rads, washing machine etc, left it all to him to plan out runs etc.

I don't have exact plans for pipe layouts only locations of sinks, rads, washing machine etc, left it all to him to plan out runs etc.

If we're doing this kind of work then we suss out the routes then check with whoever is responsible if thats OK and not conflicting with other services. It's pipes - not rocket science.

If he is only half way through, you maybe need to have proper talk with him. Tell him you expected the price to include all labours, and you need him to use his skill and engineering judgment :) (sorry, private joke) to complete. You obviously need to tell him if there are any restricted areas,and precisely the eventual location of appliances. He may be inexperienced or, for some reason,feel intimidated by you, and feels the need to double check everything.

Why have you got different guys for 1st and 2nd? That is a clear recipe for misunderstanding and cock ups

Yep I guess so, I was planning on doing second fix myself as I've fitted a few bathrooms, hung some rads and changed taps etc so feel confident with that but all my previous experience was renovations so first fix was already done in effect.

I just wanted the supply's run and left in correct positions to fit relevant second fix.

I'll have a chat with him next week when he's next on site. Hopefully we can get it ironed out a bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back