carpet gripper to concrete floor with edge problems?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, our lounge has a concrete floor covered with thermoplastic tiles. When the carpet was laid the gripper nails broke the brittle tiles at the edges of the floor and a little damage to concrete surface.

I am now completely redecorating and have lifted all the carpet gripper leaving an irregular dip of a few mm after removing broken tiling.

Question is - how should should I make this good? I think if I level it using concrete mix it will break up when new gripper is fitted as its only a thin skim. Or should I use stick on grippers?

Hope my question and description are not too vague.

Thanks
Jim

Sponsored Links
If you're putting new grippers back down and recarpeting, I wouldnt bother with any making good efforts. With underlay down a mm or two dip is unlikely to notice unless you want to play snooker on the carpet.

If you want it perfect, then microcoat the edge of the room, or latex screed if there are big chunks missing, then have the gripper fully stuck NOT pinned with Gripfill to avoid breaking the repairs.

Or if it really isn't too bad, then just fully stick the gripper with gripfill.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies.

My main concern is to have a substrate that will take & hold the new grippers.

I won't be playing snooker but I do need a level surface for the reason above.

I'm not sure what a microcoat is (I'll google it) but I have primed the surface with 1:4 pva solution and tomorrow I'll repeat with a stronger mix then use Ucan floor repair concrete from B & Q hoping it will give me a strong enough repair for fixing the grippers' I will use gripfill if results are good or maybe take the time to fit rawlpugs.

I thought about the tile solution and again wondered about strength of the fix. The asbestos point is interesting (scary). I looked into it and yes I suppose there is a risk. These tiles appear metric 250mm square. Most of the dangerous ones apparently were 12" x 9". I don't think I should start a panic in the street (neighberhood).

Thanks again, this is a great site for good advice
Jim

Thanks for your replies.

My main concern is to have a substrate that will take & hold the new grippers.

I won't be playing snooker but I do need a level surface for the reason above.

I'm not sure what a microcoat is (I'll google it) but I have primed the surface with 1:4 pva solution and tomorrow I'll repeat with a stronger mix then use Ucan floor repair concrete from B & Q hoping it will give me a strong enough repair for fixing the grippers' I will use gripfill if results are good or maybe take the time to fit rawlpugs.

I thought about the tile solution and again wondered about strength of the fix. The asbestos point is interesting (scary). I looked into it and yes I suppose there is a risk. These tiles appear metric 250mm square. Most of the dangerous ones apparently were 12" x 9". I don't think I should start a panic in the street (neighberhood).

Thanks again, this is a great site for good advice
Jim

crazydaze has given the most correct advice..........

If the repair to the edge is only a tiny ammount, microcoat will allow you to level for the minimum cost and hassle. If there is a bit of undulation or difference, a latex screed repair will take out imperfections of 2-3mm in level. If you have big chunks missing then cement or repair mortar. I fear the product you have chosen, by the description you have given, may be too thick for the task?

I fear the product you have chosen, by the description you have given, may be too thick for the task?

That too is my worry. I did consider the Ucan flexible filler which goes from 20mm to feather edge but I felt the 25Kg was more than I needed. Perhaps I'll change it. There are a very few deeper areas but most of it is only a tile depth.

I googled microcoat and found it, but it's rather pricey at approx £50. I do know though that you get what you pay for.

Thanks again
Jim

I fear the product you have chosen, by the description you have given, may be too thick for the task?

That too is my worry. I did consider the Ucan flexible filler which goes from 20mm to feather edge but I felt the 25Kg was more than I needed. Perhaps I'll change it. There are a very few deeper areas but most of it is only a tile depth.

I googled microcoat and found it, but it's rather pricey at approx £50. I do know though that you get what you pay for.

Thanks again
Jim

A quick google, and 12kg of F Ball Stopgap 500 comes up at £33

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back