Carpet installation advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive added a halfway step to the entrance walkway to my conservatory as the step was quite high (280mm).

I'm now planning to recarpet the room but I'm unsure on the best way to carpet the new step. Obviously I would like minimal joins in any place but by preference, I would like the entire step carpeted including the sides.

Does anyone have any knowledge on the best way this could be achieved or an idea I may have missed?

The rest of the room is square. Picture attached.

Thanks.

IMG_7004.JPG

Sponsored Links
Easiest way would be to add an enginered oak style stair nosing to the front and side of the top edges, mitred at the corners. Ensure it's about the same thickness as carpet and underlay combined.

Then with an offcut of preferably a firm underlay, glue the underlay to the step, and the carpet to the underlay. The riser could be stuck directly to the bricks and doesnt need underlay.

You could use a piece of the stair nosing for the top step too for a nice match.

Much more than that is going to look a bit better for a pro to handsew the corners, definately not a DIY job.

I would argue that you haven't made a step but put some slabs on top of some bricks. Make something out of timber, with a proper bull nosed tread and it can then be carpeted in the usual way.
Or as a bodge you could get a piece of carpet and cut the corners and get it sewn so the whole thing slips over the top like a 4 sided box and glue it down with something.

Not sure how the rest of the room goes especially with the external doors, but is it feasible to raise the flour height to match the rest?

Sponsored Links
The problem with the carpet forming over the existing floor level, is that the sharp concrete corner/edge will soon wear the carpet. As Chappers has suggested, you need to construct a wooden step out of a box, then put a tread with a bullnose on it, but also take a piece of wood up the rear of the riser, and fix it to it riser, Your local woodyard should be able to provide you with just a bullnose that you'll glue and screw to the top of the wooden riser, and then the carpet will drop over the bullnose. You'll then use a griper rods on the step and the riser, and it'll then get folded under and tacked at the bottom of the riser on the lower step.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back