How do fit carpet to stairway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting a carpet on a stairway to save a bit of money. My stairs are wood and each step has an overhang. I quite like the idea of wrapping the carpet around the overhang to create a sharp edge.

Can anyone recommend the best way to fit the carpet in this way?

Sponsored Links
as opposed to which way? anyway, its a very tricky job, especially if you have a curved bottom step (as many are).

if you are brave and still want a go, try this

Please be aware that if you get this wrong someone WILL get seriously hurt :(

......or worse! :cry:

A carpet fitter will not charge much money to install correctly

Please consider your abilities carefully before doing this

I've experimented on a just a few steps for the time being to see how it goes. I've noticed that the carpet tends to drag down a bit under the overhang. I could imagine overtime, this drag might get worse and look unsightly. Is there a method anyone can suggest to avoid this without hammering in loads of tacks? Is there a special strip I can buy which can be hammered in and tucked away discretely under the overhang?

Also, should I use grippers at the sides and back of each step to stop the carpet slipping forward?

Sponsored Links
Yes, you must use grippers on treads and risers.

No, you will need to tack under every riser to achieve the look you are wanting.

As has been said, it's a skilled job to fit stairs correctly, for all the time & effort you would probably be better off getting a pro in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back