Carpet Moth treatment for floorboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My tenant is moving out in a few weeks and there is an infestation of carpet moths which have chewed through the wool carpet. I am planning to throw the carpet and underlay out and get a man made fibre carpet.

I thought it might be worth while spraying something on the floorboards as well to make sure anything left is killed - can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Last year I worked in a seldom used room in a 3 story house that had wool carpets. It was over Easter. I pulled the bed forward and could see the creepy crawlies that would eventually become the moths crawling along the carpet to return to the darkness of the underside of the bed.

I recommended that the customer seek professional advice. I am not convinced that over the counter products will penetrate down to the cavities under the floor where the eggs (probably) are.

Removing the wool blend carpets will provide them with less food, but they may well just start eating your tenant's wool clothing.

The little barstewards will eat any soft fibres including wallpaper and cardboard. If you need to kill them in stuff like carpets, then a (wallpaper) steamer works well - neither they, nor fleas, nor silverfish, nor a host of other little nasties can survive being boiled (same goes for the larvae or eggs, etc). Other than that if you really think they are everywhere it might be a case of lifting the floorboards every few feet and treating with pemethrin, although several applications may be necessary and pemethrin won't kill the larvae or eggs (steam does, and fortunately these stages are generally where there is food, not beneath the floorboards)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back