Carpet on floorboards - hardboard/fibreboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I know that fibreboard is typically used under vinyl or laminate but I was wondering could i use it on floor boards under underlay and carpet?

I was planning on using hardboard but wondered if fibreboard had the same effect? Os is that just a silly idea (just asking as someone locally is selling some fibreboard cheaply so could make up two rooms with it).

no worries if not it was a lightbulb moment so just looking for advice really.

Thanks Louise

Sponsored Links
switch the light off louise :LOL:

either buy a felt backed carpet or buy underlay please

Haha have you never experienced uneven floorboards?

They (the floor boards) will show through the carpet even with underlay.

It will be floorboard + hardboard + underlay + carpet (FYI wool at £30 per SQM)

I was thinking that the fibreboard maybe an ok alternative to hardboard but thinking about it, it will be too soft and probably have the same effect as just having underlay!

So hardboard it is!

Sponsored Links
Haha have you never experienced uneven floorboards?

They (the floor boards) will show through the carpet even with underlay.

It will be floorboard + hardboard + underlay + carpet (FYI wool at £30 per SQM)

I was thinking that the fibreboard maybe an ok alternative to hardboard but thinking about it, it will be too soft and probably have the same effect as just having underlay!

So hardboard it is!

You will get the best results from 6mm ply and please be sure you know what pipes and cables are under the floor - decide will you ever need to access them - if so screw it down. avoid joints anywhere in gaps - make sure no joints are on a join between boards. 6mm ply can be carefully cut with a straight edge and sharp Stanley blade do not try to do it in one cut.
If access is not a worry use ring shank nails...
whatever fixing method you use size them so they do not go all the way through fix every 6 inches

Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back