Do I need to remove previous owners fibreboard underlay before I carpet? For hygiene etc?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm moving into a flat and the previous owner has stuck fibreboard underlay to the concrete flooring. I was initially going to put my underlay and carpet on top but I've noticed that some sections of the fibreboard seem to be flaking off a bit and some sections are rising up at joins.

Should I be removing all of this fibreboard underlay before I put my flooring down? I don't know whether I should be worried that the underlay they've stuck down could be damaged or moldy or damp or something or whether I can just put my stuff on top and never give it a seconds thought! Could it be contaminated in any way?

Any advice would be so much appreciated because I have a bit of an issue/anxiety with mold and hygiene etc and I'm trying to stop myself panicking :)

Sponsored Links
Have only seen and used fibreboard as an underlay for laminate flooring.

Dont know what type of fibreboard you have but if it is fairly compressible and not even i would remove it and carpet with decent underlay.

Its a dusty job so use a disposable dust mask and vacuum regularly.:?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back