Carpet Shrunk???

Bon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just a quick question.

We've recently decorated the stairs & landing and our master bedroom.

We took up all the carpets and slung the bedroom carpet but kept the stairs and landing as this is only 18 months old and is a "good" quality berber-type carpet which we got from the wife's parents.

When the fitter came to fit the new bedroom carpet we asked if he would re-fit the stairs carpet.

We got home to find that on the last riser (at the bottom of the stairs), the carpet was approx 2 inches short of the floor.

When I rang to find out what was going on I was told "well the problem with some carpets when you take them up is that they can shrink and they can't always be fitted exactly how they were."

I've never heard of this in my life but the guy was adamant so my question is can anyone else back this theory or shoot it to pieces??

I can appreciate a fibre material such as carpet is susceptible to water, but the thing's been rolled up in our spare room for the last 4 weeks, not in the canal.

Sponsored Links
carpets can and do shrink. that is why they are fitted carpets they are stretched to make them fit.

how ever i would say the chap who did it did the job as it should be done and a little ws lost on each riser / tread, so come to the bottom it was too short

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back