Carpet-to-carpet threshold with thick underlay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a question about the correct thresholds to use when using thick underlay.

I have retro fitted underlay (11mm) to carpet which had no underlay previously. The current thresholds are dual gripper one like this(http://www.screwfix.com/p/dual-grip-aluminium-1-8m-pack-of-3/35997), they are nailed directly to the floor boards.

I am finding it difficult to join the carpet to the grippers as the carpet is now so much higher than before. These worked fine when there was no underlay as the carpet was as the same height as the grippers.

What should I be doing in this situation?

Your advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I have a question about the correct thresholds to use when using thick underlay.

I have retro fitted underlay (11mm) to carpet which had no underlay previously. The current thresholds are dual gripper one like this(http://www.screwfix.com/p/dual-grip-aluminium-1-8m-pack-of-3/35997), they are nailed directly to the floor boards.

I am finding it difficult to join the carpet to the grippers as the carpet is now so much higher than before. These worked fine when there was no underlay as the carpet was as the same height as the grippers.

What should I be doing in this situation?

Your advice is appreciated.

You say the carpet was originally fitted without underlay, by fitting underlay the carpet is now too small (unfortunately for you!) If it was fitted properly, you will find it is short on all four walls.

There is nothing you can do about this. But with regard to the plate - you can get "extra wide" cover plates they look ugly but will cover your problem

Thanks lymmranger.

Actually I am lucky the carpets fits to the walls ok, I think the carpet still had some "stretch" in it. My question is more about how the carpet should finish to the door bar with such a high underlay.

I have cut the underlay to the edge of the door bar, do I literally just wedge the end of the carpet into the gripper and be done with it? My only concern is that the carpet descends at quite an angle into the gripper, whereas before without the 11mm underlay it was level. Is this the correct approach?

Sponsored Links
what you are describing is best called "ramping down". It is really your only option and indeed is pretty much what a fitter would do anyway (from memory they stop the underlay at the edge of the plate which gives the carpet about half an inch to ramp down.

Sounds like you may get away with this!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back