Carpeting over Parquet flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to lay carpet over parquet flooring, some of the tiles of which have become loose. Provided I buy expensive enough carpet do you reckon the loose tiles will cause a problem?

Sponsored Links
Hi

You could lift up the loose blocks and glue them back down first with gripfill or a similar product.

I do think it's a waste of a good floor to carpet over parquet flooring. :confused:

Hope this helps

Coggy

I agree, if the floor is in good order (complete) why cover it. Use it to your advantage. It dosen't cost that much to clean up and would look great with any decor.

Thanks guys, I've had a guy have a look at it and he said there is too much damage and I'd need a new floor £2000+ Hence the carpet idea..

Sponsored Links
In what way is it damaged, maybe he doesn't want to do repair, just replace. Sadly there are some who would rather cost for replacement, even if the exsisting is still ok.

Most of the time, refixing, sanding and re-sealing is all that is required, this type of flooring is very hard wearing and difficult to damage.

Old Parquet flooring is very hard to come by, and it's Secondhand value has gone up greatly over the past few years. The approx price for reclaimed is from £30.00 per Sq Metre from Salvage Yards.

It may be worth getting a few more people in to check it out. What area do you live.

These Company's and others will give quotes and/or advice, or if like a challange, hire a floor sander and give it a go. But the main thing is never accept advice/quotes from just one company. it dosen't cost anything to ask.

here

here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back