Carpeting Stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This weekend I am going to attempt at carpeting my stairs. I am having the carpet covering the whole step and not just down the middle. Any tips/help will be greatly appreciated as I have never done anything like this before cheers.

If possible a step by step guide with tools required would be really helpful.

Cheers
:)

Sponsored Links
You don't do things by half. I am a DIY'er on carpets and i think stairs are quite difficult for a 1st go.

Anyhow if you take your time you should be ok if it's a straight stair. Suggest you search the forum to make sure there are no existing posts on the subject (i've not checked myself).

I'll work on step guide if you can't find any posts. Tools are:

1) Lump hammer & Bolster chisel (i use my 4" brick laying bolster) - to stretch the carpet onto the grippers
2) Stanley knife (ideally both with std blades and what's called hook blades)
3) Tape
4) 1m Rule Stick (a 1m long steel rule or any straight edge) & Marker pen - to mark & cut the carpet to width

You will also need enough carpet grippers for 2 on each step and some 3/4" blue cut tacks. If your not using hessian back ie felt then you will also need 1 tin of aerosol spray carpet adhesive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back