wooden stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have old wooden stairs. Edge of on step is split. I will carpet them . Can i do anything to the steps to make them feel a bit more solid before carpeting ? Only max 12 steps in staircase in a maisonette. Tnx

Sponsored Links
Can you prise the split gap apart to get some glue in there? Then hold the wood in place with pins or tape until the glue sets.

Split step sorted already in way u described. Would laying flat pieces of wood of top of each step , screwing them in then laying carpet on top make steps feel more solid?

Presumably, you are talking about the nosing of the tread?
The nosing must be securely fixed for important safety reasons.
Glue and pins will do nothing for securing the nosing except to create a false sense of security and possibly cause an accident.
Replacement nosings or repairs to a nosing will require you to drive screws through the nosing back into the body of the tread - say five 75mm by 4.5 screws countersunk through the nosing.

Sponsored Links
Would laying flat pieces of wood of top of each step , screwing them in then laying carpet on top make steps feel more solid?
This will make the rise of the lowest step more, and the rise of the highest step less, by the thickness of the flat piece of wood, in comparison to the rest.
It could, and most probably would, cause the flight to not conform to regs'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back