carronite panel cutting

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have a bath and panel, both in the "reinforced" carronite which is very heavy.

the panel is a very tight fit between the walls, and almost impossible to remove.

I see the fitters cut the "lip" off one end, so I think I just need to cut a bit more off so it will slide into place, with a cutout for the skirting board.

What is the right tool? I don't want it to crack or splinter.

Sponsored Links
I've got a multicutter, with some diamond blades I bought for trimming tiles, and also a Dremel, with whatever the basic set was.

I presume the largest round blade will give the straightest cut.

Sponsored Links
is it glass fibre?

The reinforcing on my carronite bath is but I don't have the side panel to be sure..can you see any stranding at the back or previous cut edge?

Edit: a quick search result,
Developed and patented by Carron Bathrooms in 1986 carronite is an innovative, high tech, glass reinforced resin that is applied to the typical acrylic baths so that they can endure more stresses than a conventional acrylic bath that are available in the market.

Last edited:
It's too tight because tiles and skirting were added after it was cut

The reinforcing on my carronite bath is but I don't have the side panel to be sure..can you see any stranding at the back or previous cut edge?

On the actual panel, and the cut edge, I can just see a hard, dark grey plastic layer. Not the same as the shiny white acrylic on the "show" side.

Using a power tool to cut glass fibre could send an awful lot of itching dust into the air
I must admit I have a cut so many of these panels etc I couldn't count and must admit I've never came away 'itchy'. I always use a mask (funnily enough these days) and eye protection and never had an issue. Of course if someone had allergies etc then it may be an issue but in the main I wouldn't worry about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back