Case of dishwasher is *half* live!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following regular grumbles from my partner's daughter that she was getting a shock off the dishwasher (which, initially, I didn't believe!), I discovered today that if I ground myself properly, I can get a shock off it too!

After applying a voltmeter to it, I discover that the thing is at a potential of 120V to ground - exactly half mains voltage (yes, I'm in the UK).

Even more curiously, when I switch the thing off at the plug, the voltage to ground from the metal parts drops, but only to about 85V.

Naturally, I'm seriously concerned about the safety of this appliance, so I'm carefully checking it out, but just to make sure I've got as many lines of enquiry open as possible, has anyone encountered this sort of situation, and what might be responsible for it?

*perplexed, but extremely curious*

Sponsored Links
It's an earth fault.
Basically you have little or no earth to the appliance.
Test the socket you're using first, if that's ok test the cable to the appliance. Have found this a few times where extension leads or adapters have been used.

Sleepyhead said:
It's an earth fault.
Basically you have little or no earth to the appliance.
Test the socket you're using first, if that's ok test the cable to the appliance. Have found this a few times where extension leads or adapters have been used.
Aha, that's great. Thanks. I'll check that and come back to report the situation :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back