Cast iron fire - fireback repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, not sure if this should be in the building or plumbing section for the gas people.

I've got a pre-cast fireplace with a small DFE burner tray in it. I'm getting another tray for it as I'm not happy with the current one, but that side, the fireback behind the burner tray has cracked, presumably due to being poor quality or cooling down too quick?

Anyway, I'll post pics after this, but want to know can I patch this up with fire cement?

It's a terrible job whoever fitted it as it's not sealed around the back or sides, so the fire can be seen to 'disappear' behind the fireback before it goes up the flue!

Also, around the bottom edges of the cast surround, sandy dust keeps spilling out - the bottom is not sealed by the looks of it, is this just infill that the installer shoved down the insides of the surround?

Sponsored Links
fireback1.jpg

fireback2.jpg

fireback3.jpg

fireback4.jpg

In the last few you can see the gaps that go through and into the back of the fire surround.. it's these I propsed to patch up with fire cement - you can see what looks like fire cement was used to fix the curved back in place behind, with the imprint on it.

Could I put a cast iron plate here instead to reflect heat back into the room or better off just cementing the original fireback back into place?

A few more here showing that curved casted (clay?) fireback removed. It has "No. 1a" moulded in the back.

fireback5.jpg

fireback6.jpg

Where it 'sat' behind the burner tray.. it sat between the back of the surround where the cement still is, and a metal bracket that runs behind the burner tray, which I think is just there to hold the tray in place...

fireback7.jpg

LOL... this isnt rocket science , its F***ed, lol...lol..lol..lol

get a new fireback , while doing so get the chimney swept an the flue /opening checked by a corgi lad ...

Carbon monoxide is a SILENT killer , just look at them kids in Corfu , get it sorted properly ...

Sponsored Links
Well said, Moz.......thought that meself but not used to CORGI technical terms ;) .............Seriously, it`s NO JOKE.....with these live gas fires. get it checked, and the ventilation etc.

I know you meant well, but laughin about my question wasn't what I was expecting. :)

It's all very well saying "get a new fireback".. the problem is that fireback brick was a custom one that came with the original cast iron fireplace (was already in the house when we moved in)... have you any idea where to get the same one? Doubtful.

I am aware of the issues with carbon monoxide, I had already gotten a sweep booked and a Corgi guy coming to fit the new burner tray. Also have a carbon monoxide detector, there is also an air vent close to the fire.

All I am asking is, with the lack of fireback suppliers and not intending to replace the cast surround, is it reasonable to patch it up using fire cement or some other high alumina cement?

not sure what u meen by a DFE (if its anything to do with gas then you need to be linning the flue and forming a closure plate.)But
if you can find some were that sells Hens teeth then they will have a fire back otherwise you shold be abel to get some fire brickets there about 3" * 2" *1" and some Fire clay to make a new back up

Thanks mark.
DFE = decorative flame effect or living flame.

It's an old class 1 flue, don't think it will need a lining putting in as the new burner I'm getting is suitable for class 1, but will clear it with the installer.

What are hens teeth?

They don`t exist ;) but larger slab firebricks may do ..try aga/rayburn spares suppliers......and then make up with fire cement as you thought...........maybe google refactory? refractory? bricks. too :idea:

Doh! New that, was just testing you :)
thanks Nige.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back