Cast Iron Fire - Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

i recently bought a reproduction cast iron insert fireplace which i had a builder friend of mine fit.

I know that bonding plaster was used aroud the edge of the insert to 'attach' it to the wall, then it was backfilled with broken brick and topped off with a weak mortar (about 7-1).

Recently, I've had a couple of fires (given the terrible weather) but now the insert is coming away from the wall! There's a crack appeared between the insert and the bonding plaster and also one between the fireback and the sand / cement capping.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this and stop it from happening again in future?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Craig - did the builder use embedded wire ties to hold the firepiece in place as well as plaster, or just plaster? The traditional method is wiring and Plaster of Paris behind (acts like a very fast setting adhesive). I reckon your bloke hasn't wired it and just 'clagged' around it with bonding plaster.

Not as far as i know, i believe it was just bonding plaster.

I didn't see anywhere to attach wire to on the back of the insert either . . .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back