Cast iron gutter disturbed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey.

I need some guidance on what my options are regarding bad workmanship, on my neighbours side, causing damage to my side of the house, not just at the partition wall, but further along the front side, causing damage to gutter above my bay window.

Few weeks ago, my neighbours work was completed on their front wall, and their rain gutter was removed and replaced with a plastic badly joining gutter.

I observed the work taking place, and noticed that the joints between the joining gutters of our property were not sealed properly, and till this day has been leaking. The leak is making the plaster work on the neighbours side bubble up.

On my side of the partition wall, my entire wall is soaked from top to bottom, and worse at the bottom, causing Fungi to grow out of the woodwork next to the adjoining wall at the front door.

Immediately after the work finished, it rained and I noticed that my cast iron gutter had been disturbed and was leaking heavily. I was initially planning on going up there, but today it rained heavily, and we had water pouring down the front wall through the disturbed sealed joints.

It appears that the 'roofers' have attempted to line up the two gutters, and moved my cast iron gutters, in the process, disturbing the original seal.

I witnessed water pouring down, and also pouring into the property through the bay window, and onto the carpet. I've had to put two large drill holes in the bay window ceiling to let the water in, to avoid the ceiling falling down. We've had approx 3 ltrs in just one day, and were expecting rain for the next few days.

I've found out where the Builder resides, and what his company name is.

what are the best steps to take? Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

[GALLERY=media, 61227][/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 61228][/GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
Go and speak to your neighbour.

Andy

Hey Andy.

I had a long conversation with my neighbor. She was not happy with the work done on her side too; water penetrated her side of the wall, and she saw the water dripping at the joint as we stood at the front talking about the issue.

Just for the record I have no issue with my neighbor; I can't hold hr responsible for bad work.

Ultimately I think it's your neighbours responsibility. She has engaged the builder to carry out the work, the work is not of acceptable standard and so she needs to get him back to put the job right! How on earth the builder was expecting that to remain watertight is beyond me, suitable joint between the two types of gutter is required, assuming such an item exists. Otherwise your gutter needs to be capped at that end, and the neighbours gutter either realigned to fall to another downpipe, or a downpipe provided at that point.....

Presumably she has paid him already?

Sponsored Links
Ideally you both need the same type of guttering, as any join will almost certainly be temporary.

1. Is the dormer split by a partition, and shared by yourself and your neighbour? When was the dormer built?

2. The unequal gutter joint comes way over from your bay window (your bay is under a continuous porch roof).
Can you indicate on the pics, where you see water "pouring down the front wall"? Does it come from more than one point?

3. The mushroom fungus is dry rot and cannot flourish in only a "few weeks". The pics appear to show a long standing dry rot infestation.
Water must be accessing your property, and your porch roof, at possibly more than one locations.

4. Is there any evidence of water damage or fungal damage, or a musty smell, in the upper rooms?
Does your neighbour have obvious fungal damage?

5. I'd suggest that you and the neighbour make a careful examination of all front elevation walls and ceilings, and get up and examine the porch roof coverings and flashings. Check the exterior soffit, and woodwork, of the porch as it spans your entryway.

6. The cornice and dentilling appear to be disturbed - perhaps the CI ornamental guttering on both properties is/was rusted thro with failing joints, therefore allowing water into the wall itself?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back