Cast Iron Guttering- replace or paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The paint on our gutters is in very poor condition and we have been looking to get it repainted. We have got some quotes to re-paint it and they vary from £600-900.
I was wondering whether it would be more economical in the long run to replace the iron guttering with plastic? Can anyone give me an idea of how much it would cost?
Can anyone also let me know whether the wooden fascia boards that we have at present would no longer be required if plastic guttering was installed?

Sponsored Links
If I were you, I would ask for some more quotations. My whole house (3-bed semi) has been painted for just over £600. This included replacing some broken brackets, fixing the leak and painting the gutter. The prices vary depending on the area but still I suppose you can have it done cheaper.

I guess you got proper decorators to price -they don`t want that kind of work nowadays - bloody awful job ;) you can get plastic gutter/downpipes that look very much like cast iron :idea: I would go for these on your existing fascias - in fact I`m going to do my bungalow with some - you might want to get some quotes from a "roofline" company

I guess you got proper decorators to price -they don`t want that kind of work nowadays - bloody awful job ;) you can get plastic gutter/downpipes that look very much like cast iron :idea: I would go for these on your existing fascias - in fact I`m going to do my bungalow with some - you might want to get some quotes from a "roofline" company

Nige i'm doing mine in cast iron effect in a months time, i'll post some pics. Gonna be using Brett Martin as it's a million times better than the shytey Floplast but its double the price :(

Sponsored Links
I would definately replace with new cast iron type.
brett Martin WAS loads better than Floplast years ago, but I chose to do mine in Floplast as they have improved it massively lately and they also do soil pipe no.

I would definately replace with new cast iron type.
brett Martin WAS loads better than Floplast years ago, but I chose to do mine in Floplast as they have improved it massively lately and they also do soil pipe no.

Sorry hillw, disagree with you there we've done two houses in Floplast and its nothing compared to the ones we've done in BM, FP is too shiny and looks plastic from a distance.

Floplast:

floplast-cast-iron-effect-pipe-socket-14846299.jpeg

floplast-cast-iron-effect-downpipe-2-5m-pack-of-6-14649222.jpeg

Brett Martin

optional-socket-shroud-with-lugs.jpg

br220ci_big.gif

I don't deny that the Brett Martin is the more realistic of the two, but I don't think it is worth the extra money

All interesting stuff - thanks guys. Of course the real cast RWP and gutter would have been gloss painted originally and would have been shiny :confused: then dulled as the paint weathered

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back