Cast Iron Guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an 1890's build character property which has original cast iron guttering which is pretty shot. Obviously I would like to retain this original feature but not sure about the costs involved or the comparative products available on the market. Possibly some of you have worked with PVC / Aluminium replication products.......any advice much appreciated

Thanks – Ian

Sponsored Links
If you for for plastic Cast Iron effect, go for Brett Martin (The people who were the first to make it) It looks fantastic.

Flo-plast have their own version which looks like it was made on Blue Peter :eek:

I have a contact for Brett Martin ;)

So you think it would be totally out of the question to go back to cast iron? I'm just trying to explore all the options before comitting myself.........Does Brett Martin sell via the web?

Just googled Brett martin.....this stuff looks pretty impressive! :D

Think I need to find somewhere local that stocks it to get a feel for it.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure its shot?alot of the times its just the joints that need re doing.Check and see as if this is the case and if done properly it will last 30+ years.Remove old gutter bolts,remove guttering,chisel away old putty from joints and clean,re fix,add new putty and new gutter bolts.Like i say make sure the backs are ok and if its just the joints leaking and solid then repair. ;)

Well its shot in places and I thought may look a little patchy if I repair as some sections around the house have already been replaced with some cheapy cheap plastic ones....doesn't look nice.

If I'm totally honest I'd love to reistate all with cast iron, but I see the costs for replaements ouch!

I have an 1890's t. Possibly some of you have worked with PVC / Aluminium replication products.......any advice much appreciated

Thanks – Ian
I`ve worked with the original - without power tools :oops: and joined it with red lead putty. I`d say look @ ali repo. looks good on display in Drain Center ( correct spelling ;) )

Just seen the drain centre website their cast iron system looks pretty good........not sure the price will be though, think I'll pop in to a branch and take a look.

Are you sure its shot?alot of the times its just the joints that need re doing.Check and see as if this is the case and if done properly it will last 30+ years.Remove old gutter bolts,remove guttering,chisel away old putty from joints and clean,re fix,add new putty and new gutter bolts.Like i say make sure the backs are ok and if its just the joints leaking and solid then repair. ;)

i would also have a go at repair , in all fairness an 1890's character property should not have plastic anything anywhere near it.
have you tried reclamation yards?
if it were me i would repair what i could and replace what i couldn't repair with more cast iron.

That's basically what I've decided to do, repair what I can and the drain centre cast iron product for what is unsalvagable. Thanks for the advice and pointers all :D

To think - I ripped out all the cast iron downpipes and weighed 'em in. Then stuck up a load of cheap plazzy stuff!

Now I'm gonna take down all the plazzy stuff, and replace with reclaimed cast iron (if I can find any)

Isn't life strange?

That's what I would have ended up doing if I changed to plastic....it just doesn't look right on character properties

To think - I ripped out all the cast iron downpipes and weighed 'em in. Then stuck up a load of cheap plazzy stuff!

Now I'm gonna take down all the plazzy stuff, and replace with reclaimed cast iron (if I can find any)

Isn't life strange?

Why bother with reclaimed cast iron? You can buy it all brand new in exactly the same styles and sizes from bigger plumbers merchants.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back