1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Cast Iron Pipe access (ladder?) and plumbers

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by rarara, 2 Jun 2020.

1. rarara

rarara

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

What is the maximum height that a plumber could use a ladder safely to replace a small section of corroded horizontal pipe? We are second floor, which I suspect is beyond the scope. Which leads me on to....

If scaffolding needs to be put up for a day to do the work, how does the co-ordination of this work.....would any plumber taking on the job be able to arrange this themselves? Or would I need to hire it, for a day arranged when the pipe work can be done?

Thanks!

2. Sponsored Links
  3. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ask the plumber to arrange it, then if on the day it is due to be erected he or she cannot attend to site he or she can cancel the scaffolding until they can attend.

4. Chris_W

Chris_W

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It depends on access to the stack, eg obstacles (shared entries, front/rear access, etc). To be honest cast is heavy, so agin it depends on the section to be removed. Plumbers will carry out their own point of work risk assessment.

5. Gasguru

Gasguru

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You can probably get away with a simple access tower rather than the expense of scaffolding.

6. Hugh Jaleak

Hugh Jaleak

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What's the access like, would a cherry picker or platform be able to get in?

• Like Like x 1
  7. rarara

rarara

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Its a shared back garden, so there are gates off a lane but nothing wide enough for a cherry picker i'd say.

I recon it is about 10 metres. The actual section of duff pipe is only about a meter - slopes from the kitchen window to the main stack, so probably best just to replace it with PVC rather than trying to repair.

8. Sponsored Links