Cast Iron Pipe access (ladder?) and plumbers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What is the maximum height that a plumber could use a ladder safely to replace a small section of corroded horizontal pipe? We are second floor, which I suspect is beyond the scope. Which leads me on to....

If scaffolding needs to be put up for a day to do the work, how does the co-ordination of this work.....would any plumber taking on the job be able to arrange this themselves? Or would I need to hire it, for a day arranged when the pipe work can be done?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Ask the plumber to arrange it, then if on the day it is due to be erected he or she cannot attend to site he or she can cancel the scaffolding until they can attend.

It depends on access to the stack, eg obstacles (shared entries, front/rear access, etc). To be honest cast is heavy, so agin it depends on the section to be removed. Plumbers will carry out their own point of work risk assessment.

You can probably get away with a simple access tower rather than the expense of scaffolding.

Sponsored Links
Its a shared back garden, so there are gates off a lane but nothing wide enough for a cherry picker i'd say.

I recon it is about 10 metres. The actual section of duff pipe is only about a meter - slopes from the kitchen window to the main stack, so probably best just to replace it with PVC rather than trying to repair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back