cast iron radiator fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Guys,
I've just got an old cast iron radiator, I'm stuck on one of the fittings, I've tried heat and a pair of stillsons with scaffold pole. It's not moving.

Any other ideas.

Andy

Sponsored Links
How about some carefully applied heat? these fittings were often made using Hemp & paste and can be a b*****d to shift - go easy with the flame though ;)

you`ve tried heat :?: not enough for long enough, then :idea: ;)

Sponsored Links
If it is a multi column rad screwed together in sections then it is highly
likely that fitting you are trying to shift is left hand thread.

Do as you have been doing but apply the pressure in reverse.

If it is a multi column rad screwed together in sections then it is highly
likely that fitting you are trying to shift is left hand thread.

Do as you have been doing but apply the pressure in reverse.

End sections could be left or right hand thread, but the radiator tails are always right handed.

Depends on the age and make, as well as which bit your trying to get out.

UPDATE!

I've done it. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

What I have done is cut a section out with a hacksaw blade upto the thread. Then I used a cold chisel and tapped it out, then that allowed me to tap the rest of the fitting into itself, making it fall out.....Yippee. :LOL:

Andy

UPDATE!

I've done it. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

What I have done is cut a section out with a hacksaw blade upto the thread. Then I used a cold chisel and tapped it out, then that allowed me to tap the rest of the fitting into itself, making it fall out.....Yippee. :LOL:

Andy

What are the plans now you have cut the section out.

When I said I cut out a section, what I mean is that I angle grinded the air bleed valve flat (approx. 2mm sticking out from the the of the rad) then I cut the 90 degree section out (this was done with a hacksaw blade), and the rest was tapped out.

Andy

err you do know this is travelling across the water

that old git will be well akip by now (prob full of grolsh) :LOL:

one bit of

get a wire brush on the thread before you go any further ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back