Cast Iron radiator system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I add steel radiators to a single pipe cast iron radiator system will I get any corrosion, also if I change the pipework to a 2 pipe system using copper will I get any corrosion in the system. My other question is to do with adding a second pump on the boiler. The existing pump would drive the single pipe system and the new pump would drive the 2 pipe system. Over a period of time I would transfer the cast iron radiators to the new 2 pipe system. Is it possible to do this, the boiler only has a single flow and return connection so a second pump would need to connect to the same point as the existing pump. Am I likely to get any interaction between the 2 pumps or any other problems

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If I add steel radiators to a single pipe cast iron radiator system will I get any corrosion,

No steel and cast iron are happy in the same system.

also if I change the pipework to a 2 pipe system using copper will I get any corrosion in the system.

No unless the old is galvanised pipe

My other question is to do with adding a second pump on the boiler. The
existing pump would drive the single pipe system and the new pump would drive the 2 pipe system. Over a period of time I would transfer the cast iron radiators to the new 2 pipe system. Is it possible to do this, the boiler only has a single flow and return connection so a second pump would need to connect to the same point as the existing pump. Am I likely to get any interaction between the 2 pumps or any other problems

Yes you would need to form a header

doitall said:
If I add steel radiators to a single pipe cast iron radiator system will I get any corrosion,

No steel and cast iron are happy in the same system.

That's interesting, when I put water and steel together I get corrosion, regardless of whether there's any cast iron about.

also if I change the pipework to a 2 pipe system using copper will I get any corrosion in the system.

No unless the old is galvanised pipe

Why do people get corrosion in copper/steel systems then?

Sponsored Links
That's interesting, when I put water and steel together I get corrosion, regardless of whether there's any cast iron about.

Air causes corrosion not water, both types of system contain water so why would one cause corrosion and not the other.

A mixture of different ferreous and non-ferreous metals can cause corrosion (galv/copper) (Chris R is the expert ) so ask him.

Electricity will cause corrosion, residual currents leaking through the bonding will cause corrosion

doitall said:

Air causes corrosion not water, both types of system contain water so why would one cause corrosion and not the other.

They will both corrode. Have I read your reply wrong? I thought you were saying it wouldn't corrode.

A mixture of different ferreous and non-ferreous metals can cause corrosion.......

So if you fit copper pipe you will encourage corrosion, which is what I said in the first place. Or have I misunderstood again?

oilman.

I think you misuderstood.

A mixture of steel or castiron will not induce corrossion, nor will putting water in the system, if it contains NO air.

Water naturally contains air and this is removed as the water heats up, till there is no air, inhibitors will do the same job, but are un-neccessary if the system is 100% installed correctly and contains no leaks.

My system at home for example is 25 year old and still going strong, and it's never been flushed or had inhibitors.

By mixing some ferrous and non ferrous metal and electritic action can take place, Galvernised pipe should not be used for heating circuits containing copper, yet on a dead leg hot or cold water supply its ok.

Aluminium can have the same effect on steel radiators which is why you have a special inhibitor for aly heat exchangers, and the main reason I don't like them.

As I said elsewhere Chris is an expert on metalorgy and will add to this I'm sure.

My system at home for example is 25 year old and still going strong, and it's never been flushed or had inhibitors.

Just what I need, that puts an end to this argument about using copper in heating systems. Using plastic pipe will stop the electrolytic action and allow the system to run without creating long term corrosion problems and stops you having to use chemicals.

Now watch the plumbers start defending the use of copper :).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back