Cast iron washers what where they called?

30 Nov 2015
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I bought a load of old cast iron radiators from a fire station that was being refitted. They are the wide single column type (profile is like a propeller blade, ish!)
One of them had a washer left on it because it was painted over. I've cleaned it on a wire wheel see pic. It is a cast convex washer that is obviously from the original wall stay but I only got the one!

Any ideas if these where made by the radiator company's or if they were in general circulation for some other purpose and were simply used as the wall stay washers because they worked?

Did they have a special name?

I've refashioned one from a flat steel bar but it takes a while and I need quite a few. I'm putting together my own wall stays as its easy with threaded bar and plumbing back plates and I don't fancy being shafted for £25 a pop for the ones off the poncy new old radiator sites.

Any shaped washers I could use like this?

Only other alternative I've come up with is wrought iron convex bar which Id have to cut to length and drill holes in.



  • Cast Rad washer.jpg
    Cast Rad washer.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 126
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links