Cat flap in metal upvc door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Really hoping someone will be able to help me out, I am trying to install a cat flap into a upvc door- something I though would have been quite straightforward!

I had a suspicion it would have metal inside as I think it is from around the 1970s , sure enough when I drilled the first hole (dewalt hammer drill) I felt it hit some kind of metal- I can't get through it at all having snapped a bit and pushed as hard as I can (borderline ruined the door). I drilled a larger hole in the middle of where the flap will go so I could have a look inside and there is what looks like metal with a shiny surface? It also seems to have broken as I can now hear it rattling Inside the door. Searching online people seem to think this should be easy to drill through but I cannot manage it.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks

Tom

Sponsored Links
If it was a modern panel it would most likely be either 9mm of MDF or 3mm of aluminum. Im afraid I have no idea what they used in the 70's.

Can you take the panel out and look at it from the edge?

I think taking the panel out is a bit beyond me - is it possible to replace panels then? Do you know the approx cost for that?

Was using metal bits, tried a pilot with 3/4mm but they both snapped. Whatever it is it's a lot thicker than 3mm! Even if I could get through I'm not sure my jigsaw would be able to cut out the flap.

Sponsored Links
Jigsaw would likely scratch up the thing, and they are hard to safely control vertical. If you can get a hole through the metal, you would be best with a reciprocating saw with a metal blade. Plenty of breaks for the blade to cool off though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back