Cat Flap Through Fully Glazed UPVC Door

H

hotrod

As per title really, some photos to assist:-

I had this door installed circa 2006, the guys who installed it have since retired. I need a cat flap putting in this door. What are my options? New glazing unit with factory cut hole? I'm assuming they won't want to arris around trying to form an opening in the existing unit. I know nowt about double glazing UPVC me 'orrible stuff!!

Muchas gracias guys :D

Sponsored Links
As per title really, some photos to assist:-

I had this door installed circa 2006, the guys who installed it have since retired. I need a cat flap putting in this door. What are my options? New glazing unit with factory cut hole? I'm assuming they won't want to arris around trying to form an opening in the existing unit. I know nowt about double glazing UPVC me 'orrible stuff!!

Muchas gracias guys :D

Hello mate

:)

Id guess that its toughened glass meaning that you cant cut it to insert a cat flap. Look for a symbol on the corners to see if its toughened.

If its laminated then yes you can get it cut and have the catflap inserted.

In the case that it is toughened you would have to get a new glass unit which will be quite expensive.

I would say just go with the previous suggestion as it will cost much less to make the flap through the wall.

Good luck with it

I would like to see you try and get a hole cut in a laminated unit, without having to strip it apart first, new toughened unit will be the easiest option and keep your old one for if you move in the future, new unit supplied and fitted approx £130 + vat

Sponsored Links
I never said anything about not removing it :D But it can be done without removing the unit although its very likely to break

I do agree that getting a new unit and keeping the old one as spare is a good idea but as i said earlier cheapest option is through he wall. :D

How could it be done without removing it and stripping it apart, you have to cut one side and vent the other which will be the bit inside the cavity so cutting a whole in any unit without removing it and splitting it is impossible.

Also without stripping it how the hell would you get the spacer bar in around the hole, the hole cut would be a smaller diameter and thats IF you could cut it

Thanks guys. If I can get the job done for under £200 inc VAT I will be happy enough. I was pretty sure it would need a new glazing piece with the opening 'factory made'. Just need to find a smallish window/door firm local to me that would be interested in this small job....... :D

Thanks guys. If I can get the job done for under £200 inc VAT I will be happy enough. I was pretty sure it would need a new glazing piece with the opening 'factory made'

But that is exactly what you need, a new dg unit made with a hole to suit your new cat flap

Thanks guys. If I can get the job done for under £200 inc VAT I will be happy enough. I was pretty sure it would need a new glazing piece with the opening 'factory made'

But that is exactly what you need, a new dg unit made with a hole to suit your new cat flap

Yeah, I know that now, I just wanted confirmation from the Pros.

Trade Windows in Preston are very reasonable...

2510468 said:
Where are you based

Hi God, I'm in Lancashire otherwise I would have asked if you were interested.[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back