cat poo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
got a problem with cat poo in my garden, when ever i clean it up they come back an poo again, any advise?

Sponsored Links
One of the best ways to stop cats coming into your garden is to buy yourself a dog! cats will go no where near dogs ;) we had the same problem last year luckily the people with the cats moved away!! :cool:

Another very good way is to get your own cat, or befriend a neighbour's cat.

Cats are very territoreal and will keep other cats out of their garden. Also they are very neat and will bury their own muck in their own territory, especially if you provide a patch of loose earth that you fork over. So the gardens that tend to suffer are the ones that the cats perceive as being unoccupied.

This is why cat owners find it so difficult to understand the problem.

Sponsored Links
I thought about 1 of them things in argos, but next door has a dog and i dont really want to cause any harm to it.

if i got a dog it would alsot certanly get rid of the cats but then id have to clean up dog poo, and with a baby soon tobe running round i want a poo free garden.

i dont know whose cats they are and none of my next door neighbous have a cat, so it would be quite hard to try and be-friend 1.

thanks for the replies guys

befriend the one that poos in your garden.

dog muck is worse.

cats will go no where near dogs
Don’t you believe it; many dogs are all bark & no bite. My sister had a cat that loved stalking dogs, they would actually cross the road rather than walk in front of my sisters house to avoid being literally jumped on! My own ginger tom from a litter of the “stalker” chassed off a mates macho Rottweiler when he dared to walk into our front garden, much to my mates embarrassment. However, my current cat is the size of a small lion but is a complete coward! :oops:

We have the same problem with cats doing there business on our lawn. There's nothing that winds me up more than going out in the back garden to see piles of cat turds everywhere, mostly because we've got a little girl that loves playing in the garden and I don't want her getting anywhere near it.

I too was thinking of buying one of those ultrasonic scarers but my sister told me she had one and my nephew could hear it and it was giving him headaches. Since we have a young daughter and there is lots of other more friendly wildlife around that could be affected by it I decided against one of those.

I tried the green smelly pellets, rained everytime I put it down and a complete waste of time anyway.

Was going to try the Silent Roar pellets which are soaked in lions dung or pee but also heard they aren't brilliant.

Heard short term relief can be got from putting a toy snake or length of garden hose in the grass but you have to keep moving it around so they don't get used to it. Some people sprinkle their own **** out in the back garden due to the hormones in it that are off-putting but I don't reckon that's too wise, others put little plates of their scrap food out for the cat to eat as they don't eat where they ****, don't want to feed the little feckers out of principle. Heard some people put things like cayenne pepper down but that could be pretty bad for other little critters and the soil in general.

Soooo..... I found this:

http://www.contech-inc.com/products/scarecrow/

Since cats hate water with a passion, it's the only thing that would appear to give consistent results with little ongoing maintenance or cost.

It's a US product but I think you can get it in the UK, I haven't bought one yet but may do in the new year. Just make sure it is the Contech one though because I think there are copies that supposedly suck in comparison with the proper Contech one.

There's nothing that winds me up more than going out in the back garden to see piles of cat turds everywhere.
If you can see piles of “turds everywher”, it’s most likely not a cat; they mark territory by spraying urine & are very fussy about their “solid” ablutions & usually always bury it. Just because it’s not the size of a dog turd, doesn’t mean it’s a cat; if you live “urban”, it’ll most likely be foxes who visibly mark their territory but the shape & colour is different; even ducks can lay some good ones! Dogs, however, really don’t give a sheite; cat’s poo is not as big or as frequently noticeable as the gigantic human sized dog turds I have to clear off the grass verge in front of my house twice a week because of inconsiderate dog walkers; now that IS annoying!

[ Dogs, however, really don’t give a sheite; cat’s poo is not as big or as frequently noticeable as the gigantic human sized dog turds I have to clear off the grass verge in front of my house twice a week because of inconsiderate dog walkers; now that IS annoying!
So agree ! it wants a " Matt Allwright" style fake rubber talking turd wired up to a PA system :LOL:

An effective solution which worked for me was to get some cow manure and put the odd shovel full about the garden on soil areas.

Instinct tells the cats that a much larger animal is about and they stay clear.

The are about ten cats close by and during the summer when I manured my veg patch, no cat mess to clean up but it started again a few weeks after the manure was dug in to the soil.

Just find yourself a diary farmer and ask for a few bag fulls.

An effective solution which worked for me was to get some cow manure and put the odd shovel full about the garden on soil areas.

Instinct tells the cats that a much larger animal is about and they stay clear.

The size of the turds will tell the cats a much larger animal is around, let alone instinct!!

Ref: The size of the turds will tell the cats a much larger animal is around, let alone instinct!!

In theory, yes but the cow muck you would get from a farmer would tend to be squashed and mixed up with straw / hay dug out from a cow bier.

cattle are prey animals, not predator animals, so don't smell frightening.

A large male carnivore smells dangerous and is what they are cautious of. Pop out after your sunday roast.

You wife may have asked you to open the bathroom window due to your repellent abilities.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back