Cat poo disposal

Here's a quoted Q&A

"
Is it okay to put kitty litter down the toilet?

Flushing cat litter down the toilet, even if that cat litter is marketed as safe for pipes, allows Toxoplasma gondii to enter the water supply and increases the possibility of public infection. In short, it is NOT advisable to flush kitty litter down the toilet in ANY circumstance.
"

Sponsored Links
if you have a bit of scrappy area of the garden dig a deepish hole and drop it down. stick a pot on the top.

Now little fur bags are doing their business on the lawn.

Caught on this morning but it had dumped before I saw it.

Owners of cats should litter train their cats or not keep one!

At least the more responsible dog owners use poo bags.

Now little fur bags are doing their business on the lawn.

Caught on this morning but it had dumped before I saw it.

Owners of cats should litter train their cats or not keep one!

At least the more responsible dog owners use poo bags.
The most effective solution to stopping cat's using your garden as a toilet is to get your own cat!

Other than that, have you tried any measures to stop it? My dad had some success with the high pitched sound cat scare thingies.

Sponsored Links
I can't believe there is a post asking where cat sh*t goes..... My own cats use my garden to do business. I don't mind it at all as it means I don't have a stinking litter tray in the house. I just pick it up and stick it in the black bin. Nobody "sorts through" black bin waste anyway -- it gets shredded, dried and sorted by machines in absolutely massive quantities.

No point comparing to dogs either. A dog would do exactly the same if it had the exploratory freedom a cat has. They're animals and just like the birds, the rabbits, the foxes and the rats which live among us, they do their business where they want.

Yes, with excrement you can dispose of it in the house hold bin.

Sadly, you can't do that withe urine as that soaks into the soil and effects veg plants so they're not safe to eat.

ref: high pitched sound cat scare thingies
Yes, tried a Wilko brand one and it either doesn't work or the cats aren't bothered by the sound.

They're totally safe to eat.

You can guarantee that the veg you pick up at the supermarket or grocer has been 'fertilised' by a great deal more animals than the odd neighborhood cat!

EDIT -- if you really do need to deter them, then go for a decent high-frequency device. My boss bought the below device which successfully keeps the cats away. I don't agree with them as it affects other wildlife, but that's just my opinion. Batteries need changing every ~3 months too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PestBye-Battery-Operated-Waterproof-Repellent/dp/B004SGC75S

Last edited:
You can guarantee that the veg you pick up at the supermarket or grocer has been 'fertilised' by a great deal more animals than the odd neighborhood cat!

Commercial growing of vegetables uses manure from herbivore animals!

Cats are carnivore!

I've also read about the parasites present in cat urine are harmful to people.

I've also read about the parasites present in cat urine are harmful to people.
Do you not wash your veggies before consuming them?

And what does it matter if the cat eats meat or not? Poop is poop, pee is pee. Everyone knows that you wash your veggies and hands after being in the garden.

No point comparing to dogs either. A dog would do exactly the same if it had the exploratory freedom a cat has. They're animals and just like the birds, the rabbits, the foxes and the rats which live among us, they do their business where they want.
Have always wondered that too. Sure, it's annoying having cat poop in a garden for some but not everyone is blessed with a toilet or the ability to wipe it's bum with soft Andrex :) It's not all that long ago when we pooped in a pot and chuck it out the window either, all things considered.

It's not all that long ago when we pooped in a pot and chuck it out the window either, all things considered.

Hence the human population were more prone to disease from lack of sanitation!

Cat poo dissolved by rain water and cat pee both soak into soil and are ingested into plant roots. Cat waste is high in Nitrogen so can actually kill plants.

Hence the human population were more prone to disease from lack of sanitation!

Cat poo dissolved by rain water and cat pee both soak into soil and are ingested into plant roots. Cat waste is high in Nitrogen so can actually kill plants.

Plants NEED nitrogen, your bottle of plant feed contains high levels of nitrogen. Your saying about the rain water dissolving it is perfect for the soil.

And you do wash your veggies don't you?

Makes no odds washing my hands if the plant roots have ingested it.

Here's an opinion -
Cats in a Vegetable Garden

Your article says this in the prevention bit: Wash all vegetables before eating them to remove any possible contaminants.

So what diseases do plants carry direct from 'ingesting' cat poop? :)
Toxoplasmosis as far as I know isn't something you find 'inside' vegetables.... Just the soil around them which is why washing them is so important. Same as any vegetable grown anywhere.

Did you know that so so many humans already have toxoplasmosis? You probably already have it as it's also found in meat you eat. Unless you're pregnant or suffer from something that lowers your immune system it's not a problem. I think you are a worry-wart and need to relax. Just pick up the poop and wash your veggies and hands, you won't die or become ill.

Indeed, I've check the local council website - green bin for pet waste!

Thanks all!

Our dog waste goes in the usual black bags. When walking them it either goes in a dedicated dog poo bin or a regular street side bin. Completely legal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back