Cats!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a semi rural area and there are several stray cats who seem to think that my garden is their own personal litter tray. This makes for disusting mowing because invariably I don't manage to see it all before mowing and therefore can't pick it up.

Anyone got any ideas on the best way to deter cats from using my garden? Shooting them is out before it's suggested! I also can't get a cat of my own so that's out too.

I know there's a sonic thing available that repels them but that will also annoy dogs in the area and probably make for a noisy time whenever it's activated.

Regards

Fred

Sponsored Links
I expect the best solution is sprinklers....not sure if they can be activated via motion detectors though?

I use GetOff and to be frank its crap unless you use it continusely also when it rains its uslass after too and can become quite expensive......have you thought about drawing pins scattered around there favorite dumping grounds :evil:

I have a similar problem with these disgusting creatures.
I built a cat trap and bait it with 'Iams' and have been successful in catching several. I will not kill the animals but I take them several miles from my home and let them out. My view is that if they are strays then it does not matter where they are let loose. If they are pets, then the owners should act a little more responsibly and control these pests instead of giving them free roaming rights. At least most dog owners pick up their disgusting deposits and act with some social responsiblilities, cat owners seem to think that Cat deposits are OK. Its not to me, either to you by the sounds of it.
If you can't make a Cat Catcher try purchasing a rabbit trap, I am told thse devices work better than the one I made myself.
Maybe if we all installed Cat Catchers we would rid the world of these disgusting creatures.

You could try "Catwatch" from Concept Research. I can confirm this worked for me and only affects cats so dogs should be okay. Google "Catwatch" or Concept Research for more info.

Stan

Sponsored Links
cats tend to poo on long grass not short so keep it short. Foxes are also a favourite for this too.

Hysteresis said:
I built a cat trap and bait it with 'Iams' and have been successful in catching several. I will not kill the animals but I take them several miles from my home and let them out.

Cats have homing instincts so you will probably get the same cats back (especially if they know its Iams :LOL: )

If they are pets, then the owners should act a little more responsibly and control these pests instead of giving them free roaming rights.

:LOL: How?

I dont understand why the Goverment dosnt apply the same rules to cats as they do to dogs :rolleyes:

Hysteresis, if what you say is true, then your hatred for animals is causing you to behave very badly.

You say you are deliberately trapping other people's family pets? And you are taking them away so they either die or become lost?

What do you suppose will happen to you when you are caught?

Have to agree, why do these people think a human being got more rights than animals that live on this planet?

JohnD said:
Hysteresis, if what you say is true, then your hatred for animals is causing you to behave very badly.

You say you are deliberately trapping other people's family pets? And you are taking them away so they either die or become lost?

What do you suppose will happen to you when you are caught?

like i said , cats have homing instincts and will get back easily ,
especially if their getting fed 'Iams' :LOL:

Cheers all,

That Catwatch thingy looks like it's worth a try. The thing that worries me is that, even though it only triggers it's high frequency sound when the sensor detects movement, I reckon this may still be heard by dogs. So, whilst there won't be a constant annoyance to dogs, it will drive them nuts whenever activated.

I'll give it a go though.

As for the sprikler suggestion - that's actually quite a cool idea. I know there's a hose pipe connection available that incorporates a timer for automatic watering. I'm sure I could modify it and connect it to a PIR sensor instead.

Thanks again all.

Regards

Fred

Hysteresis said:
I have a similar problem with these disgusting creatures.
I built a cat trap and bait it with 'Iams' and have been successful in catching several. I will not kill the animals but I take them several miles from my home and let them out. My view is that if they are strays then it does not matter where they are let loose. If they are pets, then the owners should act a little more responsibly and control these pests instead of giving them free roaming rights. At least most dog owners pick up their disgusting deposits and act with some social responsiblilities, cat owners seem to think that Cat deposits are OK. Its not to me, either to you by the sounds of it.
If you can't make a Cat Catcher try purchasing a rabbit trap, I am told thse devices work better than the one I made myself.
Maybe if we all installed Cat Catchers we would rid the world of these disgusting creatures.

You been sniffing too many ICI fumes me lad. Keep a low profile if I was you, if your neighbours know what you are doing you're going to get a good kicking - and so you should. Prat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back