weed killer and cat scratching post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey there

need a lil' advice and recommendations for a couple of things (not being a gardener or a cat person)

1. can anyone recommend a good weed killer for clearing a patch of ground with some very stubborn weeds.... some have very deep roots and the others are the type that if you leave the slightest scrap of root or twig they spread and grow back. I plan to grass it over and plant the borders so i assume i want something that isn't going to hang around for too long.... organic would be a bonus but i'm not overly bothered.

2. Have just put up a garden fence (surprised myself how well it turned out)... but our neighbors have 5 (yes five!!!!) cats and they have taken to using one of the posts as a scratching post and it's already starting to look a bit tatty. Any ideas on how to dissuade them?? i was thinking about banging a few small nails in the 'scratching area' reckon that would work? (the only other thing i can think of involves a sack, two bricks and a canal :evil: )

cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
there's a weedkiller called "SBK" that kills brushwood but not grass. You may need several applications.

You could also use Sodium Chlorate... a total killer that is normally watered onto the roots and will poison the soil... but if you spray it on the leaves, it will kill everything but trees, and not poison the soil.

Wash your overalls, skin, hair and boots immediately afterwards as it makes them highly inflammable.

cheers JohnD

this Sodium Chlorate stuff, any idea how long it hangs around for if you water the roots?? i'd like to totally clear the area (only 2m by 2m) and start from stratch.

Sponsored Links
Your patch is only the size of a double bed ! You could cut it back and dig it over then spray the regrowth with Glyphosate or SBK a few times until it stops coming back.

If you are going to grass it, SBK is OK as it doesn't kill grass.

You can dig over a patch that size while the kettle boils.

ta - i'll go down the SBK route.... though last time i dug that patch i dislocated my finger whilst digging :eek: [thinks] wonder if i can get the wife to dig it - lol [/thinks]

cheers again:cool:

For your cat issue, use a ultrasonic cat scarer. Works well for us, plagued on all sides by cats. The older the cats though, the less affective I guess because they become deaf :confused:

I fitted two across the back of the garden and we now rarely have cats in the garden.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back