Cat test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a texecom veritas alarm. I had it fitted when we bought the house (an add on to a rewire for £200 so not a massive outlay). I have full engineer access codes and can understand the programming functions in the instructions.

Anyway, we also have a cat. Consequently we've never actually used the alarm. The codes are still default even - everything is default. The thing is, we don't actually know if the cat will set it off.

Is there a way to test this? I thought of a latching walk test while we're out but I believe this times out? Only other thing I can think of is to set the bell time to a minute and hope for the best. . .

Masking sensors isn't an option as cats climb windowsills and furniture.

She is only a small cat if that makes a difference.

Sponsored Links
Do you know what the PIRs are; from that you can work out if they are pet friendly, and up to what weight of animal. Alternatively, if you can disable the zone that the control panel is in, then set the alarm, and sit and read a book whilst you see if the cat sets it off.

Chances are, for £200, the PIRs won't be pet tolerant models. Cats can be a problem even with pet tolerant PIRs, the best solutions would be, in order (and in my opinion)

1, Perimeter detection (IE vibration detectors/contacts to ground floor windows and doors)
2, Keep the cat confined to a room without space detection (PIRs)
3, If you must, the Bosch TriTech Pet Immune dual tech is about the best pet tolerant detector out there. Replace the existing PIRs for these where required and give them a go...

Sponsored Links
Although it's standard to install PIRs, I'm more of the belief of stopping the thieves when they try and break in the window, so along with Scott, I'd advocate vibration sensors on the windows and doors so that the PIRs aren't so necessary. This also allows the perimeter to be secured at night. And the Bosch look a better bet than the Optex.

But you haven't mention what your setup is Steve.

Do you know what the PIRs are; from that you can work out if they are pet friendly, and up to what weight of animal. Alternatively, if you can disable the zone that the control panel is in, then set the alarm, and sit and read a book whilst you see if the cat sets it off.
The beauty of that is there's no detector in the hall just a contact on the door so I could just sit there all day. Might give it a go. I'll try to find the paperwork from the detectors.

I replaced a couple of my pir's with pet friendly ones. Two settings - 20 and 40kg I think. Set the alarm then kept chucking a ball in the room for the dog to run in and retrieve. No alarm with dog but I wasn't able to enter the room without detection. Never had a false alarm in 3 years. Pretty sure I paid around £35 for the pair off of Amazon.

Just looked up my Amazon history. It was September 2013 and it was a 3-pack for £25. These ones: http://www.responseelectronics.com/...-pet-tolerant-pir-detectors-3-pack-hw3a8p-p30

I remember now, I gave the third one to a mate who restricted his dog to one room. He's had no problems either.
on the flip side of that I have 2 Bosch Tritech pet friendly PIR's that are not pet friendly with an overly active Spinger Spanial, she's 8 months old now and still actives the detectors. I now have them set on a double knock over 8 seconds via the panel (Texecom Prem Elite) and I still see first knock activations in the event log at least a few times a week.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back