Cat tunnel + new build wall = broken bricks and damp proof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have recently put a cat tunnel through the wall of my house which is a new build.

In doing so the face of one of the bricks (pictured) has blown off and I have gone through the damp proof course (pictured).

I have found the bricks which are Cadeby Red from Taylor Maxwell (http://81.19.185.53/~wwwtaylo/facades/images/brochures/solace-cadeby-redmulti-spec.pdf). Problem is they only sell them in 500's, so does anyone know where I can get just a few or something similar? Or would just taking the brick out turning it round and re-laying it do the trick?

Also regarding the damp course, does this need repairing? If left like this will it cause damp issues? And is it even possible to repair it?

Any ideas would be appreciated! Cheers.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Are they close to you? Have you tried speaking to sales and saying "Pretty Please"? most companies have samples available.

I did try to ask the suppliers if there was a way of getting hold of a few but they didn't seem to be able to help. I might try and plead with them again if all else fails

Here are the pictures...

Attachments

• WP_20150808_12_13_04_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150808_12_13_04_Pro.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 199
  • WP_20150808_12_13_12_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150808_12_13_12_Pro.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 177
  • WP_20150808_12_13_21_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150808_12_13_21_Pro.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 172
  • WP_20150808_12_13_41_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150808_12_13_41_Pro.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 681
  • WP_20150718_12_09_07_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150718_12_09_07_Pro.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 210
Sponsored Links
I did try to ask the suppliers if there was a way of getting hold of a few but they didn't seem to be able to help. I might try and plead with them again if all else fails
Don't waste time with the suppliers they won't have a single brick hanging around, just ring up the manufacturer.

You've likely gone through the cavity tray at the base of the wall, formed by a wide sheet of dpc which is also the Dpc for the outer leaf. It shouldn't cause too much grief unless the cavity wall starts pouring water, but you've got bigger issues then! I can't see the damp proof on the inner leaf but likelyhood is its below floor level. I wouldn't worry.

You can get sample panels of bricks which are just faces sliced off bricks and stuck onto a foot square of cardboard. Ring up the manufacturer and ask for a sample panel to be sent in the post. Don't say why, call it an extension if you must. Then drill/ chip away at the defective brick (like fitting an electrical socket) and stick one of the samples over the top.

Don't waste time with the suppliers they won't have a single brick hanging around, just ring up the manufacturer.

How do I work out who the manufacturers are? Seems like Taylor Maxwell sell the bricks exclusively.

You've likely gone through the cavity tray at the base of the wall, formed by a wide sheet of dpc which is also the Dpc for the outer leaf. It shouldn't cause too much grief unless the cavity wall starts pouring water, but you've got bigger issues then! I can't see the damp proof on the inner leaf but likelyhood is its below floor level. I wouldn't worry.

You can get sample panels of bricks which are just faces sliced off bricks and stuck onto a foot square of cardboard. Ring up the manufacturer and ask for a sample panel to be sent in the post. Don't say why, call it an extension if you must. Then drill/ chip away at the defective brick (like fitting an electrical socket) and stick one of the samples over the top.

By the cavity wall pouring water, do you mean letting water in from the external wall?

If you look at the picture ending in 12, you can see the outer DPC has the textured side up, this then comes inside to meet another sheet of DPC which has the smooth side up. I am not to sure where the internal DPC goes but both DPC sheets seem to be laid into the internal insulation air brick stuff which you can see in the picture. Also the DPC on the outer wall is lower than the inner wall. I hope that makes sense incase you think it might change things.

Also I was thinking because its a small area compared to the entire wall it would be OK and long as I can seal the cat tunnel properly. The rising damp I hope will be negligible.

Thanks for the tip I will try that too, I will need a builder to that for me though if I can get the samples.

wp_20150808_12_13_41_pro-jpg.83287

On the right, you can see the textured DPC from the outer leaf rising up diagonally towards the inner leaf and terminating 1/2 way into the inner leaf bed joint. This is your cavity tray. Yes it's stopping moisture coming in from the top from pooling at the bottom of the cavity. Most houses from the 20th century dont have them, and don't have damp in their walls. That's why there is no need to worry about this 12" missing section.

The sheet of untextured plastic is the probably the DPM for the floor. I don't know what's it's doing there but again you won't be spoiling for a fight without it.

The inner leaf DPM generally needs to go below finished floor level.

You will not get damp, but do clear those crumbs out before completion

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back