Cat5e cabling project

aj3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought an old victorian flat in edinburgh and have been bringing it up to spec over the last few weeks. We are very fortunate not to have to live there as we are doing it up, so have taken the opportunity to do some unnecessary, but quite cool stuff.

As it is an old house and very thick walls, the "N" strength wireless I put in has not quite got the power to reach all areas of the house, so opted to put in cat 5e cabling between all the rooms and a central hub. Means I can throw the ethernet to any room, and also pass music and hi res video to any room too.

Wasnt sure if this would be a valuable addition to the house or indeed if it would be a nightmare, but have to say, very glad I did it and thankfully very straightforward too.

In nearly every room I have found a hollow panel (usually next to the windows, and have run cables up these hollow sections (2 per room) and looped them through the attic space and down again in the corner of the utility room in the kitchen. Set of cabling rods are all that is required - and a router for the rooms where there are no hollow sections.

I have then attached a 2 gang outlet plate to each and brought them all back into a 12 port patch panel in the utility room. Connecting the 4 twisrted pair wires is very straightforward - a cheap IDC insertion tool is the only tool that you really need. Managing 12 wires into the patch panel again is very straightforward, although need to be logical and neat for best efferct. I have then used two wireless routers (ethernet switch would work too) in parralell to swith the ethernet to all the different rooms. Because I have used 2 wires pire room, that leaves a spare socket for me to put music and video from the offfice to other rooms as well.

It really has been very straightforward and low cost. approx 200m cables used and all the extras cost less than 150 pounds. Well worth the time and money to do and adds a lot of value to the house. The whole lot is boxed off unobtrusively in the utility so you dont need to ruin the look of any area for the sake of a fairly techie looking hub.

Sponsored Links
Well done i love Cat5e but i also have a 2ft thick walled house and i have both Cat5 and wireless on extenders to boost signal again the cost was minimal. You are better off with Cat5e for mission critical items so you did the right thing but when you want to use your laptop wireless is the only way i find so both it is :LOL:

Wireless boosters sound like a good idea as well - might look into that. Currently have a G+ router and an N wired in series, but could do with a bit of a boost!!

Sponsored Links
Wireless boosters sound like a good idea as well - might look into that. Currently have a G+ router and an N wired in series, but could do with a bit of a boost!!

I have a 802.11g system with two boosters (D-Link) i have two switches to pass the Cat5e around the house as some cables reach the 90m mark i need two and i also have the BT home hub supplying the Internet and phones.

I think i got some extenders in work that were about £35 each and they are very good compared to my D-Link ones!! i can dig out the make if you like.

Cheers - would be great to know the make if you have it. My runs are def not as long as yours, but would be really usefull info none the less.

Cheers

Cheers - would be great to know the make if you have it. My runs are def not as long as yours, but would be really usefull info none the less.

Cheers

Make is Sitecom and its called a "wireless Network Range Extender" Mod no = WL-130

we paid something like £40 just google it. We have now rolled them out at both our offices to stop dead spots

Out of date, should have used cat6.

For a home installation that is a bit over the top i have a feeling Cat6 wont be around for that long, but i await the abuse that follows to the contrary. :confused:

but you are probably just teasing

"over the top" well, when pc were first produced it was said they would never need more than 128mb of memory.

"over the top" well, when pc were first produced it was said they would never need more than 128mb of memory.

Cabling doesn't outdate at the pace of desktop hardware. It's a good bet you are writing on this forum over a copper pair of wires. While Cat6 is standard for business installations I'd say cat5 is more then capable for a home install. It's a great idea, even more so if you start looking into Audio and Video distribution over Cat5.

Foxholes wrote

Out of date should have used cat6

no need for the expense of Cat 6, cat5e installed correctly will run full gigabit this is just as fast as cat6 was designed for.

I would say at least 95% of my installs are still Cat5e Customers just will not pay for Cat 6 but this is only my experience but what do I know only been installing computer cable for 22 years

Thank god Type 1 IBM and Thicknet are no longer used and we thought transmission speeds on these were fast at the time.

Regards

Dave

Foxholes wrote

Out of date should have used cat6

no need for the expense of Cat 6, cat5e installed correctly will run full gigabit this is just as fast as cat6 was designed for.

I would say at least 95% of my installs are still Cat5e Customers just will not pay for Cat 6 but this is only my experience but what do I know only been installing computer cable for 22 years

Thank god Type 1 IBM and Thicknet are no longer used and we thought transmission speeds on these were fast at the time.

Regards

Dave

I agree with you Cat 6 is expensive for what it is and as you say gigabit can be run on Cat5 for a home install Cat5 is more than capable for a home installation and most business installs too

I totally agree - certainly no need for Cat6 for me - whilst I dont throw HD video round my house, I believe the gigabit capacity of cat5e can do it. I bought a cat5e AV booster/splitter with an IR return in every room and now enjoy multiroom AV throughout the house. Absolutely love the setup - and the envy of my friends. Planning to upgrade my computer hardware to include a Digital TV element (currently seperate). Once I get that up and running the system will put all my pictures, music, video and TV around every room in the house. God love cat5e.

Sponsored Links
Back