Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Car Info:
1998 VW Passat
Audi V6 Engine
150000 Kilometers

Hello,
I am an american in Germany and I bought the passat here and it runs fine so far with a few minor issues that i may bring up in a new post, but something that I need to bring up now is concerning me.

I recently got ran off the road, and when I did, I bottomed out on some rocks or whatnot, and after that I had a strange rattling noise coming from the catalytic converter on the driver side. I took it back to the shop at work and took the adjoining pipe off so i could see into the catalytic converter and i see a whitish/yellowish colored rock-like thing in there about the size of a golf ball bouncing around. Is this a piece of the converter that has broken off inside? It seems to be blocking the exhaust a bit, and I cant get it out. I noticed too, that when i tap on both catalytic converters, the one with the loose bit has a "thud" noise when tapped, and the passenger side converter has a "ding" noise when tapped. I assume the thud is not normal?

2 other things that I have noticed since the incident...It could be my imagination, but it seems like i have lost power, as it seems sluggish, especially when I go up a hill. also..i swear i smell exhaust and/or raw gas every once in a while inside the car when driving, especially now that I have the heat blowing...is this a coincidence?

So i guess my main question is, am i at risk damaging anything else with the converter like that? the reason i ask is that i may be getting a new car in the next 3 months, and i may sell this one as parts or something...i havent decided yet. I do drive with the windows cracked now just in case I am getting carbon monoxide inside the car

thanks for all the help in advance

Sponsored Links
I guess the piece of debris you see is a chunk of the ceramic cement thats used in the construction of the cat - its used to keep the metal labyrinth spaced apart. There is a good chance of it blocking the cat, if it hasn't done so already! The other cat has issues too, but they don't sound as bad.
There should be no exhaust fumes inside the car at all - I suspect the eggy smell is bacteria which has collected on the air conditioning evaporator inside the car. There are chemical treatments for this - you set off a pressurised container inside the car, with the air set on circulation. The fumes produced do kill the bacteria to a certain degree.
Catalytic converters do produce an eggy smell too when cold - but naturally this won't be inside the car.
John :)

ok thank you very much...i will try and see about replacing it and will see about that smell as well

Agree about the cat. My old BMW had a rattle from the cat but I got it placed under warranty. It never caused a problem but if it depends if it breaks in such a way it can restrict the airflow.

What sort of engine is it? Obviously petrol but does it have a turbo? The pipe from the turbo to the intake can split especially if hit by a rock. These cars tend to use the airflow meters to calculate boost pressure so you can get a leak in the pipe which the engine management does not detect until it get very bad.

Sponsored Links
no, its not a turbo...its got an audi v6 in there..i found a couple cheaper cat's online here in germany so i might go that route and replace them anyway just to be safe..but thanks for the info

Back