Catch on front door doesn't hold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We moved into our rented property a couple of months ago and the front door keeps blowing open when it's windy - not good! Have asked the land lady to sort it out, but she's taking her own sweet time, and in the interim would like to feel safe at home, especially as we have a 4.5 month old baby. Anyone able to advise if we can fix this ourselves? Would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
We do use the lock, but it's a mortice one and not always quick to engage, so fiddly and time consuming to set and unset, which is difficult with the baby

Sponsored Links
Errr, how long does it take to insert and twist a key?

I cannot see your issue, it was fine before?
Have two children myself, still cannot see the issue.

So your door blows open because you do not lock it, that is in effect what you are saying.

I'm not sure if I've completely miscommunicated the problem: I don't know much about door closing/locking mechanisms (I guess if I did I'd not need to post here!), but the situation is this:

- The previous tenants left us a note saying that the door lock is broken and needs replacing.

- The door (closing/locking mechanism) is designed to stay closed without it being locked.

- Therefore the closing/locking mechanism is faulty and needs either fixing or replacing

- We would like it to be fixed (not sure if we need to justify why, but will do if anyone wants us to!) and are happy to try doing it ourselves

- We would be extremely grateful if anyone could guide us through doing this

Right, the LATCH lock isnt working.

Take a picture and post it here and i`ll tell you what one you need. As a direct replacement.

Right, the LATCH lock isnt working.

Take a picture and post it here and i`ll tell you what one you need. As a direct replacement.

Couldn't agree more.!

It will be far simpler for you to replace the lock than it is to try and get a part and fix it. There are loads of web sites out there offering on line live support. They will talk you through the process of finding the correct replacement. From there simply shop around for the best price.

Try www.locksfordoorsandwindows.co.uk or www.locksonline.co.uk as a starting point i find them both very helpful.

Ask your land lady to fix and in the mean time, USE THE KEY. Its a lot safer when your front door is locked.

Andy

What is the measurement from the edge of the door to the centre of the key hole?

Does it say Union on the face plate (the brass rectangle on the edge of the door)

What is the size of the faceplate? 25mm x ...?

Door keep is probably no longer aligned due to movement, simple enough to fix , when door closes check the catch is aligned with the hole it locks into and the the door can close fully, remove any draft excluder strip that may fowl the door .

the centre of the key hole is approximately 4.5cm from the edge of the door

The face plate says ERA Lever on it and has a British kite mark

The face plate measures 2.5mm x 16.1mm

Realigning it sounds promising :)

OK i would suggest that you have a Era Fortress classic 2.5 sashlock.

If when you move the handle the latch operates and returns as it should the first plan of attack should be to move the keep as was suggested earlier. If the handle does not operate the latch remove the handle from one side and check that the spindle (the long square section of metal) has not slipped from either sets of handle. If the latch still does not operate correctly after doing this you may need a new lock.

Hope this helps!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back