FRONT DOOR DOESN'T SHUT PROPERLY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

I've had a new front door fitted about 2 months ago.

When leaving home, I just used to shut the door from outside (without locking with the key), and the door used to lock automatically. However, recently I've noticed that when I push it from the outside the door opens.

Is that due to the recent warm weather we had or is it something to do with the door/lock fitting?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Attachments

• 20240513_090317.jpg
    20240513_090317.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 31
Sponsored Links
Hi Geek. I’m a fitter in Ireland and am scratching my head here about the locking system on your door. Your new composite door has a slam lock i assume. There should be the centre latch and a deadbolt in the middle and usually a latch/hook near top and near bottom of door which automatically engage when you shut the door - so shouldn’t be possible to push door open. Can you post pic of open side of door showing the latches etc and pic of frame where they lock into and a pic of inside with door shut showing hinges. For security you should always lock door with key to engage deadbolt - this will secure door until you get it fixed. Its probably a simple fix of adjusting hinges to move door closer to lock receivers - but the fitter must be called - if you mess around with it, the fitter can blame you and say its not under warranty and charge to repair. Dont stress - should be easy fix

I would say the door has dropped slightly and isn't engaging the slam lock or nightlatch correctly and thus not engaging

I would say the door has dropped slightly and isn't engaging the slam lock or nightlatch correctly and thus not engaging
Ronnie. The centre latch could be as you say or the receiver needs slight adjustment outward to catch latch. But a composite door is multipoint. Maybe the other locks dont engage without key locking.

Sponsored Links
@Kitser, if the pin for the slam lock isn't fully engaging none of the locking points will engage into the keeps.
Slam locks on comp doors , if working correctly , will engage all locking points , except the deadbolt, when the pin is fully depresssed. Turning the key would engage the deadbolt, fully locking the door

@Kitser, if the pin for the slam lock isn't fully engaging none of the locking points will engage into the keeps.
Slam locks on comp doors , if working correctly , will engage all locking points , except the deadbolt, when the pin is fully depresssed. Turning the key would engage the deadbolt, fully locking the door
Correct for hooks and some others. Not for all though. Mine has latch type throws. They all engage their receivers and all double throw when their pin engages. One can be off and the others will work regardless. Thats the only good thing about them.

Hi folks
The fitter did come yesterday and fixed my front door lock.

However, I now have another issue .
Someone who tried to step inside also stepped on part of the door and damaged it with their shoes.
Please see below, and kindly recommend how this can be fixed
20240519_212249.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back