Catflap on Double Glazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help me solve a wife-dilemma.

I say that it is not possible to put a catflap IN the glass of a double-glazed back door (and I mean totally double glazed, not one of those half and half jobbies).

She says it might be possible.

Help?

Sponsored Links
Make a deal with her that you'll do the fit the cat flap, if she cuts out the hole. Hammer and Bolster should do the job. Make sure you have a video camera setup to capture the action. Send the result to you've been framed, to recoup the cost of a new sealed unit. :LOL:

heeelllooo stevel

double glazing sealed units[containing inert gas ]
treated glass for toughness[safety cannot be cut]

solution moggy by by :cry: :cry:
change door for half and half :confused: :confused:
give cat its own key :D :D :D

big-al said:
solution moggy by by
It doesn't sound like it's the cat causing the problem. The obvious solution you omitted was:

Wife, by by :LOL:

Sponsored Links
It can be done if you can find a glazier willing to make you a another glass unit.

The other way is to take out the glass and replace it with upvc sheet which do come in that thickness of a double glazed unit, then cut the hole out.

Do you have a small wall area you can use ? My cat flap is in the wall using a internal plywood box section.

I had the same problem (being the 'wife' however) in the end I had another sealed unit made with the hole ready in it. It was done by a local glazier who then fitted it back into the frame. It was quite expensive (£150) but it was for the little cat.......

I had this done on a BIG patio door. Bye bye £400! :eek:

Got the glaziers to supply the unit with a nice, round, sealed hole and then fitted a slimline, polycarbonate cat flap. All the catflap componants were made of the same clear material so it doesn't stand out to much against the glass. It is also slim enough so the doors can pass each other.

Symo.

Hi,

Please can someone advise...
We have just moved into a rented property and will need to fit a cat flap into the bottom window of our double glazed door. We understand we can take the glass out and fit a standard panel to fit the cat flap (how? and how easy is it?) but we would need to replace the double glazed window in the door once we leave the property... is this possible? can we do it ourselves?

Thanks

heeelllooo faye

why not ask your local glaziers for for a quote

for safely removing lower doudle glazed panel for
reinstatment at a later date[ quote size]

and replace with suitable peice of glass with catflap fitted

i think thats all the information he will need
obviously they will have to pack out to the full thickness
of a double glazed unit

also ask your insurance company if it will affect your insurance

big all

Thank goodness; I'm not the only one with this problem! Five cats and no cat flap is no laughing matter :( At least I know what I'm up against now!

I have half and half double glazed doors - top window and bottom is plastic? I was told by a glazier that I can't put a cat flap in at all because it will break the seal. From your posts I'm wondering if he is wrong?
Many thanks

ps glazier told me this over the phone - he hasn't seen the door.

heeelllooo freebie

not quite sure the point being made
obviously a single sheet will not make a seal in the space where a
double glazed used to be but you obviously seal it diffirently

but more important i would be concerned about security
and what your insurance company would say if you make a claim

big all

freebie said:
ps glazier told me this over the phone - he hasn't seen the door.
Like us we can't see it either, a picture would be great. I would say your glazier was wrong to say it can't be done over the phone. Nothing is impossible !

he's definitely wrong I cut a catflap into a door in our last house the plastic panels are just expanded foam sandwiched between two sheets of PVC you can always silicone around the cat flap if your worried about any moisture getting in

chappers said:
he's definitely wrong I cut a catflap into a door in our last house the plastic panels are just expanded foam sandwiched between two sheets of PVC you can always silicone around the cat flap if your worried about any moisture getting in

Yours maybe, mine are steel plate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back