Catnic box lintel & Padstones on single brick internal wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an internal wall separating two rooms where the wall between the room supports the upstairs floor joists and a a dividing wall between two bedrooms upstairs.
My question is that i am creating a 1500mm opening between the two rooms downstairs and i am fitting a 1950mm heavy duty catnic box lintel for support the wall is block built and the overlap of the lintel each side to rest on the remaining wall is going to be 225mm. Could you tell me whether i would need to use padstones on this width of opening and with the additional width of lintel used.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
No, padstones not required on lintels. To put it into perspective, with the maximum load of 39kn load allowed on your lintel the load placed on your supporting walls would be less than 1.3N/mm2, I would imagine your wall blocks will have a crushing strength of at least 3.5N/mm2

I have ripped the coverings of what has been done and to show a pic of bricks wall is made of and box lintel used. So are you saying with an loading point width either side of 185mm is suffice.?

Attachments

• DSC_0499.JPG
    DSC_0499.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC_0503.JPG
    DSC_0503.JPG
    225.6 KB · Views: 128
Sponsored Links
No, padstones not required on lintels. To put it into perspective, with the maximum load of 39kn load allowed on your lintel the load placed on your supporting walls would be less than 1.3N/mm2, I would imagine your wall blocks will have a crushing strength of at least 3.5N/mm2
With a max. reaction of 19kn (unfactored?) bearing stress would be 19x1000/250 x 100 = 0.76N/mm2, so agreed he wouldn't need padstones.

Thank you very much for your assistance, am a new user and very impressed with fast response here.

I have ripped the coverings of what has been done and to show a pic of bricks wall is made of and box lintel used. So are you saying with an loading point width either side of 185mm is suffice.?
Yes as stated even using standard 150 bearing length, 19.5 x 1000 /150 x100 = 1.3N/mm2

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back