Catnic for Bifold installation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to join together existing sliding doors and separate door with a set of 3.5m bi folds. This means taking out a 300mm width wall between them.

I assumed an RSJ would have to go in but have had one quote who said they could install a catnic to this as they have standard calcs for what they could take etc. My question is, is this ok?

Also, assume I should ensure building regs are done for this?

Sponsored Links
Yes, a catnic type lintel can be used assuming no abnormal loadings and they come in standard lengths
Yeah the work would be notifiable

Yes, a catnic type lintel can be used assuming no abnormal loadings and they come in standard lengths
Yeah the work would be notifiable
Thanks. What is the difference between a catnic and an RSJ?

This is the first time I'll have building regs involved in anything. Do I have to do this before the work is started? Or should any decent company offer to include this for me? Appreciate the cost will be added to quote.

RSJ = generic term for a steel I beam. Catnic is a brand name but refers to off the shelf cavity lintels. Because they have precalculated loads, building regs don’t require calcs for them, and you also don’t normally need padstones, so no requirement for a structural engineer to design it like you would for a steel beam/RSJ.
Speak to the builder and ensure they put a building regs application in. Or if they’re more a window installer they may have it covered under FENSA

Sponsored Links
A Catnic is a patented, specially-shaped lintel fabricated out of thin steel sheet; an RSJ is a hot-rolled steel 'I'-shaped beam (though RSJ is a misnomer as they are rarely used today - the modern equivalent is a UB = Universal Beam).
Your proposal needs Building Regs approval, partly because it is a structural alteration, and also because you are increasing the area of glazing.

RSJ = generic term for a steel I beam. Catnic is a brand name but refers to off the shelf cavity lintels. Because they have precalculated loads, building regs don’t require calcs for them, and you also don’t normally need padstones, so no requirement for a structural engineer to design it like you would for a steel beam/RSJ.
Speak to the builder and ensure they put a building regs application in. Or if they’re more a window installer they may have it covered under FENSA

A Catnic is a patented, specially-shaped lintel fabricated out of thin steel sheet; an RSJ is a hot-rolled steel 'I'-shaped beam (though RSJ is a misnomer as they are rarely used today - the modern equivalent is a UB = Universal Beam).
Your proposal needs Building Regs approval, partly because it is a structural alteration, and also because you are increasing the area of glazing.

Thanks both. Very helpful and glad to hear it's an ok way to do it. They are FENSA registered but for completeness I should insist that they do building regs too? Then im completely covered?

A catnic or similar steel lintel relies on the masonry immediately above it to form the 'beam' that takes the load above it. This makes it inherently less tolerant of loading from below, moving loads and vibrations or even fixing to it.

So it can be a bad choice as whilst it may pass building regulations, the key considerations are about design and use, not just a single factor of loading.

A key factor is to determine if the bifold is top hung or floor supported.

Which is better in this scenario?

Keep in mind, building regs are the home owners responsibility.
Do I need to contact council then before getting this done / giving them the go ahead?

A catnic or similar steel lintel relies on the masonry immediately above it to form the 'beam' that takes the load above it. This makes it inherently less tolerant of loading from below, moving loads and vibrations or even fixing to it.

So it can be a bad choice as whilst it may pass building regulations, the key considerations are about design and use, not just a single factor of loading.

So how do I know if what they are proposing is a good option then?

So how do I know if what they are proposing is a good option then?

You need to establish whether or not the bifolds are top hung. Particularly if top-hung, you then need to find the tolerance they will allow for deflection of the beam.

If using a Catnic, you would need to find out from them what the maximum deflection of the beam will be. To tell you this, they will need to know what load the catnic is suppporting; is it supporting just a roof, or the main back wall of the house plus the bedroom floor? - all this makes a difference to the deflection.

If using a steel beam instead of a Catnic, you would need to tell the SE who calculates the beam what maximum deflection your doors can tollerate - s/he will then work back the figures to give the optimum size of beam.

Unfortunately in life, some things are never simple :<(

It is going to just be supporting the roof for an extension part of the house so no floor above it (not yet anyway but thats for a good few years yet if at all).

If this fitter is correct they should already have considered what you said above though right?

I will ask about the hanging of them. I think its bottom hung but not 100%.

Thanks both. Very helpful and glad to hear it's an ok way to do it. They are FENSA registered but for completeness I should insist that they do building regs too? Then im completely covered?
FENSA certification does not cover structural alterations or lowering the cill height for some reason. You will need B Regs

If this fitter is correct they should already have considered what you said above though right?
Yes if his day job is a structural engineer, and he has additional insurance for structural design and installation.

How many window firms are Phoenix companies that shutdown and void the warranty and then start back up with a new name but same people. Don't answer it's rhetorical.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back