cats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
recently my cat has been drinkin water as tho its about to run out. give him fresh and hell pretty much ignore it, he would rather drink dirty water form a pan lyin in the sink, or bath water. he;s also not eatin as much some days (but others day he'll eat his way thru 5/6 packs of food. any ideas?

Sponsored Links
you refer to your cat as he so its not a womb disorder that can cause excessive drinkling.
Possibly diabetes..
Has he lost weight at all?
how does he wee?

Sorry to say my old cat went like that, he had diabetes.

Might not be that, but off to the vet if I were you.

hes gonna be goin to te vets in the next few days.

toffee - he is male

doesnt seem to have lost any weight, and apart from the food/water, he is still himself, altho he was sick thismornin and hasnt moved from the bed since then till just now (he meiowed for water, turned it down and went outside)

if he is diabetic, what can be done?

Sponsored Links
andy
sorry to say but my old late lady puss, was doing this an it was kidney failure .. :( :( :(

diabetes could be managed as could water infections etc.
I think you should take him to the vet to be checked out.
If he is reluctant to eat he could also have a blockage in his mouth or throat.
Check also that he moves ok and is not in pain when you stroke his body all over.
If he goes out, especially at night he may have been hit by car.
Good though.. he hasnt lost weight and now your aware , you can get him checked out.

andy said:
hes gonna be goin to te vets in the next few days.

Sooner the better, we're all worried now. Saturday appointment?

toffee said:
diabetes could be managed as could water infections etc.
I think you should take him to the vet to be checked out.
If he is reluctant to eat he could also have a blockage in his mouth or throat.
Check also that he moves ok and is not in pain when you stroke his body all over.
If he goes out, especially at night he may have been hit by car.
Good though.. he hasnt lost weight and now your aware , you can get him checked out.

today he just hasnt ate since thismornin, think its down to him bein sick tho. other times he'll eat some when fed, then just go off and come back a few hours later

he doesnt seem to be in any pain/discomfort when stroked, and often sits on me/mydesk

goes out around 4-5AM every mornin and comes in about 7 when i get up. then usually goes out for a few hours when i get in around 3. dont think he has been hit, but then he cant exactly tell me.

its just the food and water that seems to be the problem. other than that, there has been no change

had similar symtoms then lost weight over 24 hrs ...

you will find a vet open 24hrs 7 days , took my lil girl on sunday morn emergancy surgery ,...it wasnt all that dear/expensive if you go to them ...
they could do nothing for her , I was in mourning for 2 weeks ...

is they any pain when you squeeze her underneath near back legs ...or lumps ?

Moz said:
is they any pain when you squeeze her underneath near back legs ...or lumps ?

havent noticed, but will check when he comes back in

andy
Listen mate I dont want to scare /worry you ....SORRY !!! :(

is the lil lad........an old fella .. ?

Just dont be like I was when I went with my lil girl expecting a miricle ... I was put on the spot by the vet ... when he said their was nothing they could do ...ok
I just broke down .... sobbing .....

maybe he has diabetes an its nothing , hope so !!!
keep us informed how the lil fella goes on .. ? ;)

ring your local vet surgery... they should give telephone advice , ( though will probably say visit if your not in the practice)
Note also,his poo, consistency and smell (if he uses tray) and whether he is in discomfort when weeing or pooing.
Could be maybe he has picked up some old food/ contamination.
good luck

hes about 10-11 years old.

will get him to the vets in the next few days. hopefully he just has a stomach bug or summit

andy
my puss was 26 yrs
so your lad ...he is a young un really ;)
chin up an best wishes

Sponsored Links
Back